Ticking sound after stator change.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ticking sound after stator change.

Hello everyone, I was hoping to get some guidance on a problem ive been having. I own a 1982 GS750E with 27,000 miles. after changing the stator i have a irratic ticking sound coming from the stator side of the engine It only does this when the engine is idling and not fully warm as soon as the oil temp gauge gets up to 200 degrees the noise goes away. Im starting to wonder if its the idler gear between the starter and starter clutch making the noise. when i took the stator cover off the idler shaft was stuck in the cover alowing the thrust washer and gear to fall out of its place i put everything back, the clymer manual shows 1 thrust washer on the shaft with the gear, does anyone know if there are any shims or anything? i checked all around to make sure no parts got away when the shaft came out and i made sure nothing was stuck to the magnet that the stator sits in, there are no marks on the stator, magnetic drum, or the cover that would show theres contact being made, bike was in the shop and recievd a full tune up, valve adjust and carb sync. shop said not to worry about the noise. has anyone had a problem like this? i was thinking about putting silly putty on the shaft and then putting the cover on to see if theres play that would allow the gear to move back and forth, does anyone know if that idler gear shaft needs to be put into the engine case or cover and then tapped to lock it in?

sorry for the long post and thanks for all the help!!

Should be thrust washer on both sides
    ??? Diagram only shows 1
    Last edited by Guest; 06-28-2008, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Have you loaned your bike to al qaeda at all?

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
        Should be thrust washer on both sides
        ??? Diagram only shows 1
        There should be a washer on the inside of the starter gear and outside. I hope it's still in the stator chamber and not in the crankcase. Maybe stuck on the rotor?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

When installing the stator, there is a 90 degree angled bracket with a hold down screw that holds the three stator wires to the inside of the case. This bracket must be set into the recess in the case provided for that purpose.
          If the wiring hold down bracket is not seated correctly, the edge of the bracket will strike the stator which will result in a ticking noise when the bike is at low rpm. At higher rpm, the sound is still there, but you will hear it as continuous, so probably would think it an engine noise.

Earl
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

My new stator was a bit noisy for a while right after I put it on until it wore in/seated itself. Only a few minutes though.

Comment

goodmorning everyone, I believe i found my problem.

From what I can find from my Clymer manual and BikeBandit.com the 8 valve motors use 2 washers on the idler gear shaft while the 16 valve only have one washer, so I believe Im not missing any parts. I looked at all the wiring brackets in the cover this morning and everything looked good. I was able to turn the starter clutch a bit and found a mark where the gear on the starter clutch is making contact with the engine case, I never saw it before since the gear tooth was covering it up, the gear has back and forth play in it enough if I push on it slightly I can see the gear touching the case.

So now what do I need to do? does the starter clutch need a rebuild? is it rebuildable?

Comment

I have a sixteen valve and it has two.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I looked up the 1100 cc motor on bike bandit and for that size motor they show 2 thrust washers, while on the 750 one is only shown. so now im really confused!! I took the idler gear and shaft out from the motor and the starter clutch gear has tons of back and forth movement in it now that the idler isnt there to hold it. any idea's?

Comment

Working...
                  X