130 km/h Terminal Velocity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

130 km/h Terminal Velocity

Yep, I was at 8500 RPM today and that's as fast as my 400 would go today (I can bury the tach in every gear but 6th). What should I be looking at to make her run stronger? The bike runs a tad lean as the spark plugs are a whitish brown.

I know the best thing to do would be to tear down the carbs but I can't...if I don't have a ride to work I don't have a job (hehe, I don't have a job but I'm looking). I did start to pull them apart last week but I couldn't get the float pins out.

Thanks, Steve

Steve,

The best way I have found to remove the float pin(s) is with diagonal wire-cutting pliers. It only takes a fraction of an inch or so of movement on the pin before it breaks loose. Get the sharp section of the plier head behind the head of the float pin, squeeze a little, add a slight twist.......and out comes the pin. Beats trying to hammer it out with a dowel pin and possibly breaking the float post
    Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
    "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
    1982 GS1100E
    1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to see if that will work. I considered trying something like that but the previous person in the carbs pushed the pins all the way in on me

Anyway, during the 2nd intermission of the hockey game I checked the plugs and they are white so my carbs have been getting worse. I think I've put atleast 2000 km on my bike since last checking the plugs so I'm kinda worrying about my compression.

Oh yeah, do I need to get the butterflies to fully rebuild my carbs? I've got one with two bad screws.

Steve

Comment

Not so sure that the problem is necessarily due to the carbs.........as soon as Earl read this, he'll probably tell you it's the "induction tubes" .

However, since I get the impression that it probably has been a long time since your carbs were cleaned, it might not be such a bad idea to do so. I don't see any need to take off/out the butterflies...I have never done so. I've had the entire carb body (with everything removed except for the butterflies) sit in carb cleaner overnight. It hasn't hurt them at all. But do remove everything else.......i.e. take caps off of the top mixture screw, in order to get screw/spring/washer and the all-important o-ring out of there. People have, on occasion, forgotten to do so. Heck, I just realized that I don't need to type all this.......it should be in the "Carb cleanup series".

Sorry.......will cease my rambling
        Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
        "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
        1982 GS1100E
        1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Another good way to remove the float pin is to use a magnet of some sort.

Michael

Comment

Mine came out really easy just pushing them through with a scribe, then using a plier to remove them the rest of the way. They are a very weak point and can break easily ( teh mounting boss) so be careful!! :twisted:

Comment

About that hockey...

Comment

Working...
              X