1982 gs1100gkz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 gs1100gkz

i have an 821100gkz and would like some help with it. when i shut it down for the night and try to start it the next day the starter locks and wont turn the engine. i can hear the solinoid working but cant get the starter to work. the bike wont shift out of neutral so i was wondering if it is the starter, the trans or maybey something electrical?

Originally posted by jon12529 View Post
    i have an 821100gkz and would like some help with it. when i shut it down for the night and try to start it the next day the starter locks and wont turn the engine. i can hear the solinoid working but cant get the starter to work. the bike wont shift out of neutral so i was wondering if it is the starter, the trans or maybey something electrical?
    As seems to be a regular problem with the 1100Gs (and from what i have gleaned, alot of the big GSs) the starter clutch's in these bikes are a bit persnikity. I would not rule out the possiblity of the starter motor itself, however, and even a poor battery. Check these things first, and if you still have a problem, or those arent the culprit, its possible the starter clutch is on its way out. One of the big indicators would be, once the motor tries to turn over, a loud CLACK, or kickback against it. This is indicating that the clutch itself is not engaging properly, and allowing the motor to kick back against the primary starter gear. Eventually this will be the death of the starter clutch, primary gear, and possibly the starter. Its also possible that the starter clutch will start spitting pieces of its internals out to float around in your stator cover, and eventually find its way into your sump. I found a spring from the starter clutch when i last changed my oil. Mangled. Lord knows where it traveled....

Comment

Hi and welcome.

Basscliff serve up another......

Thats hopefully the welcome pack and all clicky link things....

As for your problem when you say you can hear the solinoid working you mean click. Or do you mean you can hear the starter turn but the engine doesn't turn over?

You can't engage gear when its cold to put it in gear and move the engine to check whats seized. Yes?

Its unlikely to be transmission that is causing the bike not to start other than a clutch safety switch (don't know if this model had one.)
      Its possible that its a low or dying battery. It could be corrosion on the wires so that all the current is not getting through or its possible that its a starter clutch.

How do you start the bike normally then?

Suzuki mad

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki mad View Post
        Hi and welcome.

Basscliff serve up another......

Thats hopefully the welcome pack and all clicky link things....

As for your problem when you say you can hear the solinoid working you mean click. Or do you mean you can hear the starter turn but the engine doesn't turn over?

You can't engage gear when its cold to put it in gear and move the engine to check whats seized. Yes?

Its unlikely to be transmission that is causing the bike not to start other than a clutch safety switch (don't know if this model had one.)
        Its possible that its a low or dying battery. It could be corrosion on the wires so that all the current is not getting through or its possible that its a starter clutch.

How do you start the bike normally then?

Suzuki mad
        It does have a clutch safety in it. I removed mine from the circuit, cant stand it.

Comment

Originally posted by jon12529 View Post
          If you can't shift it into neutral maybe you should adjust the clutch cable at the lever? You might not have enough freeplay and it causing enough drag on the starter that it won't even turn it over.

If it has been a while since the oil and/or filter has been changed this will also help prevent the clutch plates from sticking together. A weak battery, dirty starter switch contacts, etc. will only add to your starting problem.

Comment

Working...
          X