Brake pad spring help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake pad spring help

Hey guys, on my 1986 GS450L, I cleaned my brake cylinder and the piston really well. It used to kinda get stuck (rubbing the rotor) after I squeezed the brake lever. The front wheel would turn just one rotation. With the brakes off the bike I can turn the front wheel and it spins forever. I cleaned the piston and the piston housing out and it looks new now. The old brakes I took off were worn at an angle, lower in the back and higher in the front. With the brake unit in my hand I can squeeze the lever and the piston will move out and when I release the lever the piston slides back in slightly like it's suposed to. The problem I'm having is when I install the brakes on her and squeeze the lever the pads don't back off of the rotor. Still one rotation if I'm lucky and she uses a little more gas. I finally noticed the brake spring pad doesn't fit snug in the little housing, it kinda floats and the only thing holding the spring in place is the pads themselves. Should the pad spring fit snug in the little housing for it, or should it be moving freely. I think this is causing my pads to stay on the rotor but I really don't know. I have the clymer manual and it shows how and where the pad spring goes but it says nothing about how it's supposed to fit (loose or snug). I know I cleaned them right. Until I get this resolved there is no need for me to put my new brakes on her (waste of $$). Now she's 'cause I won't put the new brakes on her and take her out.

All disk brakes will have some drag, If they are not releasing check/clean the master cylinder

Comment

Not sure what spring you mean. I didn't realize there was a spring to pull the pads away from the rotor. But I never had a 450 L
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

The spring will move around a little bit and it does help keep the pads from bouncing around.

From your description of the pad wear it sound like the two halves of the caliper aren't moving freely. You might want to disassemble the calipers then clean and lube the posts so that the 2 halves of the caliper slide easily back and forth. How did the rubber boots on the posts look? You might want to replace them if they have any crack/holes in em. These help keep the dirt and elements out. How did the rubber boot the covers the piston look? Same reason to replace it as the caliper post boots.

Comment

Hey guys. Everything on the brakes is clean and in good shape, dust covers, posts and all. Man I cleaned the whole system really well, looks like water running through it now. I think I got it but not sure. My 450 doesn't have but the one piston and it looks really clean as well as replaced the piston seal and cleaned it all out good. I cleaned the dust covers on it all and lubed the posts like the manual said. The spring pad looked realy bowed, kinda like an upsidedown tent and I believe it was pushing against the pads instead of resting behind them, kinda putting tension on the pads all the time. I took it apart again and flattened the spring pad with just a real slight bow in it. Now I'm getting 4 or 5 revolutions by hand instead of just the 1. I'll order a new pad spring just to be safe. I thought she was burning alot of gas. Also when I replaced the piston seal I put it in dry, did I need to apply brake fluid to it also? I know opinions vary but I didn't know. If I was supposed to wet the seal let me know and I'll go back and fix it.

Comment

Working...
          X