common elec. problems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

common elec. problems...

i just got a key for my 80 850 and since the battery is toast i jumped it from a car batt. everything came on but the starter didnt even try to turn over
    what are some common areas in the starting circuit that may lead to this?
    thanks in advance
    steve

Did you pull in the clutch? Clutch safety switch on GS models.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hopefully the car was NOT running. That tends to bring up another list of repairs before long.
      sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

hahaha i didnt even think of the NSS lol
        and no my truck wasnt running

Comment

What year did they start putting those annoying not so safety switches in there??

Comment

well its not the NSS the nuetral light is lit and even with it pulled in its not doing anything
            any suggestions?

Comment

Starter solonoid is on the battery box. If you are looking at the LEFT side of the bike, it would be on the left side of the outside of the battery box, near your fuse block and possibly your R/R. Will have a lead running to the starter. With a GOOD battery, you can jump the solonoid poles with a screwdriver, or whathave you, just like a car, and see what happens. If you're not even getting a CLICK when you hit the button, chances are the solonoid may be shot. From there you can check the switch itself, the contacts commonly get corroded being in the elements as they can be, and could use a good cleaning. The starter itself could be bad, but i would think that it would at least make SOME sort of noise. I have a problem similar on my KZ440LTD that i havent bothered to track down yet. I have a feeling it may be actually in the KILL switch as im not getting spark even if i try to bump start the bike, but have lights, good battery, and everything else.

Comment

Working...
              X