Learning from our mistakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning from our mistakes

Ok, so here is my list so far (I am sure it will grow) of the mistakes I have made that others can learn from. :-)

1. Don't use a 19mm wrench to turn the engine over...totally bungled one of my points. I now use a 19mm socket---works way better for me at least!

2. Only take out one shim at a time when adjusting valves--otherwise the cam lobes get dinged by the cups when you turn the engine over.

3. Go slow and be safe--especially when adjusting throttle cables in a handlebar change

4. Keep a neat work area (because I have lost stuff)

5. Go slow and be safe (wait, did I say that already:-))

6. Ask the long time GSers lots of questions!!!!!!!!! (and thank them!)

Rick

Here is the one that I have learned.

7. Don't start tearing down your carb's while your kids are having a water balloon war, took me a while to find all those tiny parts.

Comment

8. Don't run your bike after your step-dad has left the petcock on prime for a full day. Oil and gas don't mix in the crankcase too well :P.

Comment

9. Verify EVERYTHING. Don't just blindly trust that parts in carb and brake rebuild kits will be correct (they usually aren't). Ponder the part you're ordering carefully before ordering and before installation -- Suzuki made unannounced changes all over the place, and 25 years of Previous Owners (POs) likely made many more. Just because some guy on eBay thinks his part will fit your machine is no reason to waste money on it.

10. Don't trust "professional" mechanics with a vintage machine. EVER. That way lies only heartbreak and ruin.

Just a few examples of lessons I and many others have learned the hard way.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

11. Be very careful when attempting to drill out an engine mount bolt!

12. Don't throw tools around in frustration, especially if your working on the inside of a car.

13. Make sure you tighten those caliper bolts nice and snug, add a small amount of locktite (medium).

Not that I've had experience with any of the above.

Comment

14. Every nut and bolt you put back into your bike has either high temp Anti-sieze OR Loctite on the thread.Anti-sieze on the unthreaded portion of bolts doesn't hurt either. Cheers,Simon.

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

15.Run a die nut down every stud thread and a plug(bottoming) tap to the bottom of every threaded hole before installing NEW bolts and nuts.Should be able to run nuts and bolts up tight, by hand ,for their full length and only need spanners for final tightening.Cheers,Simon.

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Working...
              X