No announcement yet.

My First Valve Clearance Check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hmmm? I am not sure if I would cook them. I am not sure what the tolerances are in terms of constructing the shims, but really getting the steal hot can mess with other properties in steel besides magnetism. Just be careful on this. If your really concerned I'd exchange them or get one of those de-magnetizers.

rick

Comment

Well I went and swapped my shims for some non-magnetic ones and finally finished my Valve Clearance job the other evening. I ended up re-measuring my clearance and I kept getting slightly different measurements when comparing the clearances when the lobe was perpendicular versus paralell to the Valve so I sort of Averaged

I decided to Loosen all 4 Exhaust by .05, and Intake #3 also by .05. After completion and re-measuring I found 3 of the Exhaust were still below .04 but I did not have enough shims to go .05 less for any. I put the Valves cover back together and rode her all day today and vibration was decreased, my idle was better and she just drove like a new bike. I will get some more shims and in a few weeks loosen my 3 exhaust clearances some more.

Thanks everyone, the Valve Clearance fix has been one of best improvements to my bike thus far!!

Comment

Working...
      X