My First Valve Clearance Check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First Valve Clearance Check

Thanks to Steve for the spreadsheet and Cliff for the PDF's, I just last evening finished my first Valve Clearance Check on my 78 GS750. .02 just means it was less than .04, my smallest feeler gauge!

And here it is...

Exhaust clearance. (mm) 0.02 0.04 0.02 0.02
    Mid-point (mm) 0.06 0.06 0.06 0.06
    Difference (mm) -0.04 -0.02 -0.04 -0.04
    Present shim 2.55 2.50 2.45 2.60
    Needed shim 2.50 2.50 2.40 2.55

Intake clearance (mm) 0.08 0.04 0.04 0.07
    Mid-point (mm) 0.06 0.06 0.06 0.06
    Difference (mm) 0.03 -0.02 -0.02 0.02
    Present shim 2.50 2.45 2.40 2.35
    Needed shim 2.50 2.45 2.40 2.35

Just need to go buy some shims, thanks everyone!
    Last edited by Guest; 06-29-2008, 11:19 AM.

Well done! Steves handy calculator and Mr BassCliffs excellent website is part of the toolbox now.
    You will be surprised at the improvement in performance.

Comment

Check with your local Suzuki dealership and see if they do "shim swaps". Mine does. Give them one of yours, and they give you one of theirs, no charge.
      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
        Check with your local Suzuki dealership and see if they do "shim swaps". Mine does. Give them one of yours, and they give you one of theirs, no charge.

Darn had not thought of that. Already put her back together...

I already made sure my local Suzuki had a good collection of shims, but I am not sure how much hes going to charge me for them, I'l go grab em tomorrow...

Comment

Originally posted by peterpressure View Post
          Darn had not thought of that. Already put her back together...

I already made sure my local Suzuki had a good collection of shims, but I am not sure how much hes going to charge me for them, I'll go grab em tomorrow...
          "Back in the day" it was free to swap shims for the size you need. Ask them if they still honor that agreement. Both of the dealerships near me will do it.
          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Even if they charge a couple of bucks, it's worth it to have them now, instead of waiting for mail-order.

This first time, go ahead and just get the shims so you have a couple of extras sitting around. You don't want to rotate the cams without all your shims in place, so having an extra or two will allow you to move some around.

Also note that you can move the shim that is currently in EX 1 to EX 4, meaning you will only need to get a 2.40 and a 2.50 for 1 and 3. Since that will leave you with a 2.45 and a 2.60 as extras, you will have some ready for next time. All your intakes appear to be good, and in an interesting progression. You might want to pick up a 2.30 now to be ready for the next adjustment in case IN 4 will need it. It is also sometimes handy to have a shim that is several sizes smaller than what is in there, just in case something drastic happens and the valve tightens up more than one size. Not likely, but it can happen.

So, your shopping list should include a 2.30, 2.40 and 2.50, and be sure to ask about an exchange policy for next time.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Is it OK the Shims I just got from the dealer are slightly magnetic?

Comment

NO!! De-magnetize them! You don't want them accumulating any metal shavings.
                85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

I'm getting ready to do my first clearance test so I'll ask:
                  How do you demagnetize shims?
                  In fact how did you know they were magnetized to begin with?

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                    NO!! De-magnetize them! You don't want them accumulating any metal shavings.
                    Glad I checked this first, was about to put them in...

Originally posted by d_hoffman View Post
                    I'm getting ready to do my first clearance test so I'll ask:
                    How do you demagnetize shims?
                    In fact how did you know they were magnetized to begin with?
                    Yes, how do I? and why are they!!!

Comment

Did a little googling, Heat or AC current will de-magnetize. Wow, Im pretty angry I got magnetic shims, I think I might just go return them for non magnetic ones, what a bummer..

Comment

Originally posted by peterpressure View Post
                        Did a little googling, Heat or AC current will de-magnetize. Wow, Im pretty angry I got magnetic shims, I think I might just go return them for non magnetic ones, what a bummer..
                        Don't be angry, it's not like its a special material, its likely an artifact of machining them on a lapper or blanchard grinder with magnetic clamping.

You can do several DIY things as you mentioned to demag them, or you can by powered or handheld tools that do it. I use one on screwdrivers, but keep in mind you can magnetize the screws unintentionally this way, which may or may not be desired.

Here's a cheap 3$ link I found googling that is more or less what I have.
                        We carry a large variety of magnetic tools, including our award-winning ToolMats and holding arms, caddies, and more.

You'll need something bigger for shims, the one I have I bought off of the snap-on truck, but isn't snap-on. It looks like an extruded X and you rub the item for mag/demag on one side or the other. Worth picking up if you can find it, sorry that I can't find a link for you...

Comment

Put them on an electric or gas burner till they heat up pretty good. That will break up the magnetic properties.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaughn View Post
                            Don't be angry, it's not like its a special material, its likely an artifact of machining them on a lapper or blanchard grinder with magnetic clamping.

You can do several DIY things as you mentioned to demag them, or you can by powered or handheld tools that do it. I use one on screwdrivers, but keep in mind you can magnetize the screws unintentionally this way, which may or may not be desired.

Here's a cheap 3$ link I found googling that is more or less what I have.
                            We carry a large variety of magnetic tools, including our award-winning ToolMats and holding arms, caddies, and more.

You'll need something bigger for shims, the one I have I bought off of the snap-on truck, but isn't snap-on. It looks like an extruded X and you rub the item for mag/demag on one side or the other. Worth picking up if you can find it, sorry that I can't find a link for you...
                            Machine shops have demag tools. They might do it for free. It's nearly zero effort, if you have the tool.
                            Dogma
                            --
                            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                            '80 GS850 GLT
                            '80 GS1000 GT
                            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                              Put them on an electric or gas burner till they heat up pretty good. That will break up the magnetic properties.
                              That sounds more like my price range!

Anyone else try this?

Comment

Working...
                              X