Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was it the rain? I don't know but you might.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was it the rain? I don't know but you might.

1982 GS850GLZ Maroon 27500 miles.

Got caught in a thunderstorm yesterday, just as I was about to go on reserve. I kind of felt the engine sputtering a bit, and I put the petcock on reserve. It sputtered more. I realized I had left the choke on a crack (by now I had been riding about 10 mins.) Took off the choke.

Then I hit some heavy rain. The bike seemed to be sputtering - was running about 4000 rpm but wouldn't accelerate (Although I didn't try too much due to the rain)

Could this just have been due to the extremely heavy rain and high humidity or was there something else going on?

Question 2. Later on, out of the rain, I wound the bike up in second gear to just short of the redline (which is 9000 rpm). At about 8500 it seemed to stop pulling, like the power just shut off. 1982 bikes didn't have rev limiters did they?

Cheers

Dave

Maybe the spark plug wires are bad.
    Maybe you fouled the spark plugs a bit when running with the choke on.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Answer 1: Had somewhat similar problems with my wife's 850 before I replaced the plug wires. Used to carry a can of WD-40 just to spray on the wires if any moisture was looming on the horizon. Actually, we still carry the WD, just don't need it for the wires any more.

Answer 2: No, no rev limiters. At least not the type you are asking about. Depending on how the rest of the mechanical bits are tuned (valve adjust, carb jetting, air filter cleanliness, etc.), you may have just reached its breathing limit.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Try some NGK Plug Caps. Cheap, quick insurance.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Thanks for the help

I never thought of the plugs - was thinking only of the intake area. You guys are the BEST.

Dave

Comment

Working...
          X