gs450 turn signal / electrical help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs450 turn signal / electrical help

ok, i have 79 gs450l. i took the turn signals off when i bought the bike a few years ago. today i decided to put led signals on it. i wired them up and now all signals come on no matter what direction i flip the switch.

was the relay built into the stock lights? any ideas where i went wrong? for the record, i marked the wires when i took the stock signals off, so yes, i did wire it correctly.

Hey Howdy Hey!

Hi Mr. sluggerknuckles,

You probably need a flasher unit designed for LEDs. Since they draw less current than the incandescent bulbs, the stock flasher won't work. Carefully check the connections and grounds again to see if you can get one side at a time to light up.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

P.S. In case I didn't give you one earlier, please stop by my little BikeCliff website and pick up your mega-welcome.

Comment

The reason all of them come on is your indicator in the dash panel.

Using the stock signals, the indicator is connected to both hot wires. When you turn on the left signal the left side of the indicator becomes 'hot'. The right side is connected to the right signals and uses their filaments as a ground. The indicator light will not pass enough current to turn on the right signals, so it gets away with this.

With your LED signals, the indicator light will pass enough current to light the signals on the other side, no matter which side you activate. You will need to re-wire the indicator light for it to work properly. I sketched a diagram for someone who was looking to use an LED for an indicator, but the same diagram will work with a standard lamp instead of the LED. You will, however, need to install two diodes (electrical check valves) face-to-face between the two sides and power the indicator from the center.

Oh, yeah, you'll need the electronic flasher, too. It does not care what the load is, it works on a timer.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hunter-gatherer collecting

Very nice post Mr. Steve.

This has come up several times since I've been around and I've seen you post this information before. If you don't mind, I'm going to "borrow" your experience and find a place for it on my little website. Thanks!

BassCliff

Comment

Help yourself, Cliff. If you need a better drawing, let me know. I can always show off my Paint skills.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

what if i just pull the indicator lamp and installed the flasher?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              The reason all of them come on is your indicator in the dash panel.

Using the stock signals, the indicator is connected to both hot wires. When you turn on the left signal the left side of the indicator becomes 'hot'. The right side is connected to the right signals and uses their filaments as a ground. The indicator light will not pass enough current to turn on the right signals, so it gets away with this.

With your LED signals, the indicator light will pass enough current to light the signals on the other side, no matter which side you activate. You will need to re-wire the indicator light for it to work properly. I sketched a diagram for someone who was looking to use an LED for an indicator, but the same diagram will work with a standard lamp instead of the LED. You will, however, need to install two diodes (electrical check valves) face-to-face between the two sides and power the indicator from the center.

Oh, yeah, you'll need the electronic flasher, too. It does not care what the load is, it works on a timer.

Steve,
              This is obviously applicable only where the bike has only one indicator light for the flashers and not a seperate left and right one. This is an excellent tip you have here, especially now that people are changing to LED's.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
                Steve,
                This is obviously applicable only where the bike has only one indicator light for the flashers and not a seperate left and right one. This is an excellent tip you have here, especially now that people are changing to LED's.
                Are there some models of GS bikes that have two indicators? The only ones I have seen, which include 81 450T, 81 850G, 82 650L, 82 850L, 81 1100E, 82 1100G all have only one indicator.

Yes, if there are two indicators, there should be no problem. The above diagram will definitely work if there is only one.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Are there some models of GS bikes that have two indicators? The only ones I have seen, which include 81 450T, 81 850G, 82 650L, 82 850L, 81 1100E, 82 1100G all have only one indicator.

Yes, if there are two indicators, there should be no problem. The above diagram will definitely work if there is only one.

The GS1000G 80 model has 2 indicator lights.

Comment

Cooking with electrons

Hmmm, come to think of it, I've got separate turn indicators too.

Still, a great workaround for the single indicator circuits.

BassCliff

Comment

so i put the diodes head to head and that solved the 4 lights on at once problem...i also put an electronic 2 prong flasher in and they still dont flash... any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                      X