Tire pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire pressure

Just wondering what the proper tire pressure is for a GS 850, 1982?

I have a GS1100GK, which weighs about the same as a dressed 82 GS850 and has the same sized wheels and tires. I use 40 psi both front and rear, solo or two-up.

Nick

Comment

I go 40 rear 32 front. :twisted:

Hey Nick, you get my message??

Comment

Re: Tire pressure

GS1150E.....36 front and rear. solo, no baggage.

Earl

Originally posted by chrisf
        Just wondering what the proper tire pressure is for a GS 850, 1982?
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Hey Nick, you get my message??

Yes, Tim, I did. Thank you.

Nick

Comment

36 psi front and back cold..around 40 psi hot. If the pressure hot increase by more than 10% you need to raise the pressure a bit (ie two up or with a load). A higher pressure increse means the tyre is flexing and heating up too much. Always compare pressures consistently (ie totally cold, warm etc) otherwise it will seem the pressures are all over the place.

It is not uncommon to run 40 psi cold on the rear standard, particularly with a heavier shaft drive bike (more weight on the rear).

Comment

My Clymer for an 850 suggests 25 front and 28-32 rear depending on solo or dual riders. Why are you using the higher pressures, and isn't there some danger to overinflating the tires?

Comment

NOt all GS models are specified to the same tire pressures. Thats why when you state your tire pressure being used, the bike model should be given.

Earl

Originally posted by knelson
                My Clymer for an 850 suggests 25 front and 28-32 rear depending on solo or dual riders. Why are you using the higher pressures, and isn't there some danger to overinflating the tires?
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

those are the Manufacturers recommendations for inflation on tires made in that year, and for the most confortable ride. if you look at the sidewall of a tire it will tell you the max inflation, and that is where the tire should be inflated for maximum load. riding a tire aired to the max when the bike is not fully loaded will only result in a somewhat harsher ride, but at the same time will extend tire life if not overinflated. If you recall the Firestone tire fiasco, they recommended 32+ PSI, and Ford recommended 26-28. Due to Fords recommendation, the tires where actually overheating causing the blowouts. :twisted:

Comment

Working...
                  X