Bad vibes at 5k fixed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad vibes at 5k fixed

Hey, so I fixed my bad vibes! And this is how I did it...

I sold the bastard and bought an 850G!

Yup, I was moving anyway, sold it for $1300, moved, found a GREAT 82 850g for $1k and made a huge upgrade. I already bought some new o-rings for the rebuild next weekend. The PO said that he would run carb cleaner through the tank every 3rd gas tank, but the 7 years he had it, never cleaned the carbs altogether. Also, it is a rough cold start, so I figured it can't hurt. Other than that, the damn thing is sweet with a custom paint job to boot!

Originally posted by Skyboy8950 View Post

Yup, I was moving anyway, sold it for $1300, moved, found a GREAT 82 850g for $1k and made a huge upgrade. I already bought some new o-rings for the rebuild next weekend. The PO said that he would run carb cleaner through the tank every 3rd gas tank, but the 7 years he had it, never cleaned the carbs altogether. Also, it is a rough cold start, so I figured it can't hurt. Other than that, the damn thing is sweet with a custom paint job to boot!
    Congrats! You'll find it MIGHTY smooth Also, your rough cold start could very very likely be valves in need of adjustment!

Comment

Really? I would not have thought of that... But I have done it before and even have the tool to do it! There is a little tick, but again, just got it and haven't felt it out completely. Generally, when warmed up, the baby purrs and runs smooth. At 65, I can't even think of going into 6th gear. IT HAS 6 GEARS! Wow!

Thanks for the words!

Comment

WHat??? No 850 has 6 gears. Where are you finding a 6th gear?

Comment

Maybe I am lying. My gear indicator though goes up to 6. Weird. Um, I'll let you know if I get there.

My speakers also go to 11, and that is no joke.

Comment

Alot of the gauge packages have a 6 indicator, but the only 6 speed was the 550. Apparently they used the gauges for various models.

Comment

Damn, I was looking forward to it. Oh well, like I said, I don't know if I would even need it, though it would be cool.

Comment

that 6th gear is really reverse

Comment

Trust me, my 82 1100G is the same bike you have, except 1100cc instead of 850. Yeah, 6th would be nice for an overdrive, but you REALLY DONT need it. The bike will redline in 5th going MUCH faster than you really ever need to go.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                    ... the only 6 speed was the 550.
                    Aahhh, not so, young man.

I know for a fact that the 450 also had a 6-speed. I would suspect maybe also the 425 and 400, maybe even the later 500 twin.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Aahhh, not so, young man.

I know for a fact that the 450 also had a 6-speed. I would suspect maybe also the 425 and 400, maybe even the later 500 twin.

Ah. Ok I stand corrected.
                      Better still, let me rephrase that:

The only GS my arse could fit on with 6 speeds is the 550...lol

Comment

BTW, are you still in C-U? I thought you were moving to Oregon. Well done to get $1300 for that bike.

Comment

Originally posted by p_s View Post
                          BTW, are you still in C-U? I thought you were moving to Oregon. Well done to get $1300 for that bike.
                          I moved to Portland, Oregon. I need to change my location. This place is so much better to have a bike in than the CU. Yea, the guy was a first time rider/owner. He was happy, I was happy. It all works out in the end.

Comment

I moved to Portland, Oregon. I need to change my location. This place is so much better to have a bike in than the CU. Yea, the guy was a first time rider/owner. He was happy, I was happy. It all works out in the end.
                            No kidding. I'm still in Seattle for another 6 weeks. Not looking forward to east-central Illinois motorcycling when I go back. I guess there will be more trips to Indiana for me.

Comment

Sorry you got to go back. When are you getting out of there permenantly?

Comment

Working...
                              X