Wider triple trees for GS1000?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wider triple trees for GS1000?

G'Day Guys, I want to install 4 piston Nissin brake calipers on my GS1000, but of course, due to the fork tube spacing, this isn't gonna happen.

Apart from this problem, the 37mm forks are fine, and I don't see the need to change the look of the bike by fitting later forks with wider trees, I just want the wider trees, preferably with holes for 37mm legs?

Now as a lot of you know I have a full machine shop, and yes, I could make a set of "slab trees", but well, I don't like them all that much, so I'd rather buy a set of trees "off the shelf" and modify them (if necessary) to fit my GS1000S.

I had a set of early GSXR 750 forks on another bike, and once I had an engineer friend make some "screw in" fork tube extensions from aircraft grade stainless steel to get the front end up to a realistic height it was great, but this time I want the bike to look more "factory original", so I'm thinking that if I can't find some wider trees with 37mm holes, I might look for an old set of GSXR750/1100 trees and machine up some "inserts" to shim the tubes into the larger holes.

Has anyone tried anything similar, and if so, what did you use? Cheers, Terry.

No one? Well that's surprising...........

Comment

Get a full bandit 1200 front end and have the bottom yoke (tripple tree) push off the GS1000 shaft and the bandit one pushed on.
      You won't be able to run the Suzuki original wheel but that should go.

Suzuki mad

Comment

Thanks mate, the Bandit yokes should work fine, I just missed out on a set of early GSXR750 trees, but I think I know where I can get some Bandit triples.

I'll be interested to see if it's necessary to change the steering shafts over, early GSXR750 triples go straight into the GS1000 frame, but need to be shortened, from memory.

I'll still use the OEM wheel, (or at least, an earlier hub laced to a wider alloy 18 inch rim) with a longer axle, and spacers for the discs and axle. Cheers, Terry.

Comment

Why don't you fit the non opposed calipers off the Kawasaki Ninja or even the ones off of an SV650?

With a full machine shop should be a piece of cake to make up the adapters... Of course I can sell you a set for the Kawasaki "Tokico" ones too

If you don't want to fit GS550 disks you can fit CBR F3 ones. You need to make up a spacer.... I have some of those coming soon too but again it would be simple enough for you to make it up yourself.
          Once I've fitted them I'll post up some more info on this mod.

I can't see you need brakes better than the Kawasaki Ninja brakes... I've gone from the better brakes on my 80GS1000G (slotted disks, larger square pad caliper) to these & it's the difference between needing a hard squeeze with the whole hand to just two fingers!
          Last edited by salty_monk; 07-04-2008, 06:19 PM.
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

G'Day Salty, well you're right, I could just go the non opposed calipers, your adapters really look first class mate, if I was gonna leave it stock I wouldn't bother making my own, I'd buy a pair of yours, for sure!

But, I'm about to build an 1100CC engine with some (almost new) RC forged 12.5:1 pistons and Yoshi race cams with 2mm more lift than stock, with 38mm carbs and other goodies, so I'm hoping for around 140 BHP, and I reckon 4 pot calipers will be better again at hauling it down from speed.

Plus, I already have a good set of Nissin 4 pot GSXR calipers and braided lines sitting in a box, so I better use 'em, ha ha! Cheers, Terry.

Comment

Terry,

Obviously if you have the calipers there then great... You'll spend more money on your triples than on new calipers & disks though I would think.

With the ones I'm using you can literally brake from any speed with 2 fingers. I think any difference in the ultimate stopping power of the two calipers would easily overpower the level of grip from the tyres. I haven't tried it as yet but I'm pretty sure I could lock the front wheel at will with this setup & I believe it may be even better with the CBR rotors fitted. (Will be trying that on the G in a month or so.

Dan
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

No worries Dan, I've got a BMW K1100LT with Brembo 4 piston brakes and running the same tyres (Bridgestone BT45's) as I have on my GS1000 I can haul the bike down from 140 MPH without locking the front brakes/tyre (that's with the ABS switched off, of course) so I'm confidant that I'll have a similar result with the GS1000S set up.

I just missed out on a set of 1200 Bandit triples for 30 bucks, but I'll keep looking, they're not a real "hot item" like GSXR stuff is. Cheers, Terry.

Comment

Good luck with it... look forward to seeing some pics.

Dan
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Working...
                  X