FLOG!! Lacking mid-range giddy-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FLOG!! Lacking mid-range giddy-up

from 2nd, 3rd and forth ... and sometimes 5th, she seems to lack that giddyup when pulling through 3k -5k.

I can accelerate, but I ain't running.. . I want to run, especially since I often have to pull away from traffic, and when I try to, I feel like I'm flogging the hell outta the engine. 3k to 5k feels like it just flattens out...

I've heard mentions of raising jets, shouldn't my stock settings be fine?

Do I have to fine tune the mixtures. I have them all set at 2.75 turns out? and my plugs look good.

I would sugest a very good carb clean to start, check intake boots, air box. Is it stock ?

Comment

Carbs All cleaned, no really..... in fact, when I pulled and cleaned this winter... they were pretty clean as it was. I did all o-rings, etc. Airbox is stock. I might have a slight leak on boot 1 that connects from carb to airbox. Getting fixed hopefully this week-end, but it's not enough to make a difference. at least I don't think it is....

Don't get me wrong, she runs great, I just feel like it could be tweaked to perfection.

Comment

Originally posted by maro View Post
        I've heard mentions of raising jets, shouldn't my stock settings be fine?
        Yes, the stock settings are fine. Fine for what? Fine for meeting the EPA standards of the day. If you want the bike to run right and better, you might need to richen it up a bit. Whether you go half a size on the mains, shim the needles or bump the pilots will depend on plug chops at the various throttle settings. Sounds like you have already tweaked the mixture screws, so that will handle the idle and low-speed just fine. My guess is that you need to shim the needles.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Flat spot around 4000rpms is usually needles, just remember that the main jet also effects the needle flow at that rpm. In other words if Your main jet is too lean adjusting the needle will only move the problem to a different rpm.

example: shimming a needle with a lean main jet can cause too rich condition off idle and a new flat spot maybe at 6000rpms.

First I would go up a size on the main jet, especially if the bike has aftermarket or improved flowing exhaust/intake. If You go up a main jet and it starts to run too rich a wide open then go back to the orig jet and adjust the needle.

If it runs stronger at wide open but still has a flat spot I would go up another size on the main jet until WOT doesnt improve and then use the smallest main jet that runs the best. Then I would adjust the needle.

This web page is a big help for me.

Comment

Working...
          X