Drive chain noise....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drive chain noise....

I have a 80 GS750, I notice a noise , fairly loud when I ride. It sounds as if my chain isnt riding right on one small part of the chain, like its twisting or bent. The chain and rear sprocket were replace last season. I thought it may be front sprockets but when I spin the rear tire on the stand, it only seems to bind up when a certain part of the chain is inside the gear box. Could the chain be bent? I dont see any visible damage to the chain itself it "looks" fine. But its impossible to get the correct tension on my chain cause the binding is causing it to loosen and tighten in every rotation. What do you guys think?? I dont think the cover has ever been off the gearbox so im sure im looking at having to break and replace all the screws/bolts just to get inside. Ide rather not if i dont have to , yet anyway!!lol

Originally posted by igotspam2 View Post
    I have a 80 GS750, I notice a noise , fairly loud when I ride. It sounds as if my chain isnt riding right on one small part of the chain, like its twisting or bent. The chain and rear sprocket were replace last season. I thought it may be front sprockets but when I spin the rear tire on the stand, it only seems to bind up when a certain part of the chain is inside the gear box. Could the chain be bent? I dont see any visible damage to the chain itself it "looks" fine. But its impossible to get the correct tension on my chain cause the binding is causing it to loosen and tighten in every rotation. What do you guys think?? I dont think the cover has ever been off the gearbox so im sure im looking at having to break and replace all the screws/bolts just to get inside. Ide rather not if i dont have to , yet anyway!!lol
    Countershaft sprocket must be shot.
    Why would you break any screws?
    Use an impact, they should come right out, unless it's a rust bucket.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

It probably has some links that are binding. A good lube may help Or it may be time for a new chain. CHeck the counter shaft sprocket make sure it did not come loose
      Last edited by Guest; 06-30-2008, 03:42 PM.

Comment

It's probably the countershaft (front) sprocket; it's generally a good idea to replace the chain and both sprockets at the same time. What you are probably seeing is wear on the front sprocket binding the chain. You don't have to remove any part of the gearbox, only the countershaft cover, which is only a few bolts. Remove the chain, or rotate the rear wheel while on the center stand, and look for worn, broken, hooked, or any other flaws in the front sprocket teeth. I'm pretty sure this is what you are seeing; for a few bucks, you can replace the front sprocket, and all your troubles will probably go away. Some variation in chain tension with rotation of the system is normal, but if it's binding and making noise, you need to change the countershaft sprocket out; if you don't, it will chew up your new chain, and probably your new rear sprocket.
        1979 GS 1000

Comment

Nah , Shes no rust bucket, far far from it. Stored indoors her whole life. I just know that when a screw has been heated and cooled for 28 years over and over, it tends to get stuck.

Comment

Awsome!, thanks for the quick response guys. Ill see whats goin on behind that cover this evening and let ya know what I find. This site is priceless!!

Comment

The counter shaft sprocket has only 16 to 17 teeth. Put bike on center stand and spin the rear tire. Your chain has 96 or more links. Mark one of the links on the chain with chalk or something

If your feeling the clunk with every full rotation of the chain its the chain. If your feeling the clunk three or four times per chain rotation its probably the sprocket. Make sense?

Usually you can see the kink in the chain. It will be a link that doesn't lay flat in the same line as all the other links. If you try to straighten it with your fingers it won't rotate.

Comment

Well yea, I figured thats how Ide tell what was what, I just like to be sure Ive covered all my basis by asking those of you with far more experience with this bike about my problem. Thank You very much for all the advice. Ide like to point out though, that if i dont understand how a long chain runs on a small sprocket, I shouldnt be working on my own bike. I know you dont know me and there are those who have no place in the garage but it does say "junior member" not Junior pee brain. lol that having been said you guys rock and thanks again.

Comment

REPLACE BOTH sprockets Binding like that is a sign of a twisted, worn, or high tooth/teeth. This can be detremental to the chain AND your health. Ive had a chain come apart in my hands when inspecting the same symptoms you are describing...scary to think of what would have happened on the road.

Comment

I finally got my front sprocket (Freakin UPS!). Ive taken off the chain, cleaned it and inspected it. Since it and the rear sprocket are only 1 season old they are still ok.I have no idea why my dad didnt change all 3 but then again he doesnt know how to work a PC either. the chain is a little stretched im sure but plenty of room to adjust it. I cleaned all the gunk out from the inside of the case since I had it off. I put it all back together and success!. No more noise. Back tire rotates freely again when on the center stand. I only road up and down the block a couple times to test it, Ill take a ride when momma comes home and make sure ,but as far as i can tell Its good as gold. Thanks to all of you guys!!!
                    Last edited by Guest; 07-04-2008, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X