Oh dear......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh dear......

Well finally got the courage to strip the BS32's off the 1981 GS1000E. They haven't been off the bike since it was made from the look of it.

So in I dive.

No1, 2 and 4 's filter were blocked with what looked like fine paper and rust. Pilot jet on No2 and 4 were blocked solid. Rust on all four float bowls and the main needle jets on 2 and 4 were clogged with this fine paper and rust. More worrying was the two large lumps that were inside no 1 carb and I still can't find where that's come from. So I'm happy that they are cleaned and ready to go.

Next, I look at the carb rubbers. They are all cracked and metals showing. Impact driver to hand and off comes no 1 OK. No2 is a little bit more tempremental but comes away. No3 the upper screw comes out but the bottom starts to round. I knock the rubber around and low and behold the screw starts to undo. Stick a screwdriver on it and out it comes.

Then theres no 4. I think I should have given up and waited till tomorrow with this one. Top screw sheared the head off. Bottom screw rounded. I finally cut the upper corner off the rubber to get the rubber to move hoping that the bootom screw would loosen. Not so lucky.

I go back to whats remaining on the top screw. I cut a slot in the stud and turn. Another part of the screw shears off.

Its looking like a push to the local engineering shop to weld a couple of nuts on whats left to get the remained out and try the carbs.

Just hope the head doesn't have to come off......

Suzuki mad
    Last edited by Guest; 06-30-2008, 04:32 PM. Reason: Added picture

you have a drill? if so, find the closest bit to the hole in the boot, but slightly smaller, rather than larger, and drill the head, just enough that you pop it loose. say 1/16th of an inch or so. once the head pops loose, the rubber will come right off, and you should be able to grab the remaining bit with a pair of vise grips and spin it out.

Comment

Whats vice grips? Don't forget that I'm English........

Suzuki mad

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki mad View Post

Suzuki mad
        I think he means mole grips.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Suzuki mad
          When in doubt ask Google.

Comment

Suzuki mad
            Pliers that adjust and lock down.

Comment

You wacky brits with your spanners and mole grips and boots and bonnets.

Comment

Its a quaint lanuage we all use.

It takes a little bit of getting used too.

Thanks for that. Didn't think to google it either, sorry.

Suzuki mad

Comment

whatever you call them, they are handy as heck for removing broken and stuck bolts.. tighten them down so you can juuuuuuusssst close them and they grip like mad so you don't have to!

Comment

Its a quaint lanuage we all use.

It takes a little bit of getting used too.

Thanks for that. Didn't think to google it either, sorry.

Suzuki mad
                    You know we love you guys. I plan on a visit soon. I have a good friend (former girlfriend) in Shrewsbury.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
                      You know we love you guys. I plan on a visit soon. I have a good friend (former girlfriend) in Shrewsbury.
                      I've a few friends in the USA, outside the GS resources.

Suzuki mad

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                        I think he means mole grips.
                        Boy, that generates some imagery. What the <expletive> kind of moles do you grip with Vicegrips? Mole, the borrowing animal, or mole, the skin imperfection?
                        and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                        __________________________________________________ ______________________
                        2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Working...
                        X