Need info on 85 gs700e please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need info on 85 gs700e please.

I have searched and searched to no avail. I have a couple of questions.
    My brother just got his second Harley and decided he didn't have room
    in his garage for a third bike so he GAVE me his mint 85 GS700E. What
    are brothers for! Anyway, here goes.

Does anyone know where I can get a repair manual for it?

How big of a front and rear tire can I put on it over stock?

A microfiche would be nice too.

Thanks in advance, Brian

The manual is a fun thing to find. I have a haynes for the 82 and older 750's they are pretty similar. I also have a copy of a supplement for the 700 that has the particular changes since the bike was only made one year.

I have a 120 80 front tire and 120 90 rear tire on mine now. DO a search on GS700 on the forum and you'll find some good info on the bike.

SO how mint is the bike???

Comment

1) I think that the only repair manual available is the "official" Suzuki service manual. I have never seen a Haynes, or similar, version for sale.

2) I believe that the biggest rear tire that you can fit without modification to the bike is a 130/90-17....clearance from the chainguard and the rear brake torque arm are the critical limits. You should be aware, however, that different brands and models of tire do differ in size even if they have the same nominal dimensions. The 130/90-17 is "plus one" size up from the original OEM 120/90-17 tire.

3) Given the limits on rear tire size, the largest that you may want to fit is a 110/90-16.....again a "plus one" from the standard OEM 100/90-16.

Comment

Originally posted by dig dug mx6
        I have a haynes for the 82 and older 750's they are pretty similar.
        Actually, the GS(X) 750/700 series, starting in 1983, is substantially different from 1982 and earlier GS750's. I would recommend getting a copy of the 1983 GS750 Suzuki manual, which has the "700" supplement mentioned.

Comment

Questions

Thanks for the responses guys. The bike is in excellent shape,
          my brother is a mechanic and very meticulous with his stuff, so
          it was well taken care of. He actually had two of the 85 gs700e's
          one, a friend of ours crashed so he bought a second one and
          transplanted the engine with the crashed one with less miles
          on it. I started polishing and scrubbing and the bike looks great.
          I think it has around 15k miles on the engine that's in it now.
          He picked up his second 1200 sportster, so he said come and get
          it or I'm gonna sell it. He didn't have to tell me twice. Plus he had
          just put plates and insurance on it for the year so I'm good to
          go.

Can I still get the manual from a dealer and does anyone know
          if the turn signals are two or three wire? Thanks again, Brian

Comment

contact http://www.go-fiche.com to check for parts fiche 85GS700E/ES
            $10.95

Comment

Brian you can get a factory manuel here http://www.repairmanual.com/index.html and as far as fiche goes there is a guy at ebay that sells them his ebay store is here check his list of micro fiche they usually run $6 and free shipping. http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=27518924

Comment

I just went out to the garage and checked my notes. When I went to a 140/70x17 Dunlop 591R rear on the OE rim, I had to modify the brake torque arm for clearance. I had ditched the chain guard by then, so that was no longer an issue.

I have a 150/70x18 on a PM wheel on the bike now, but it has an Steve Pittman swingarm on it. I had to modify the brake arm even more. Chain was fine.

Comment

I pulled up beside a Harley today and even sitting still it was a blur. I think you burned your brother :P I couldn't believe my 21 year old 400 ran smoother than a new hog. I mean really! It was all the guy could do to hold onto the handlebars as machine "jiggled" all over the place!

Steve

Comment

Try the Nickle test to see how smooth running your bike actually is.

The nickle test is this:

Place a nickle on edge on a flat level surface somewhere on your bike while it is running (usually on the tank). It shouldnt move at all or very little. Harleys cant pass this test. Even a V-Rod. A buddy showed me that test when he showed my how to sync carbs. He puts a nickle on the top of every carb. When the nickles stopped moving or were all moving the same amount the carbs were adjusted. Man was it smooth.

He does this with water glasses as well. Set 4 clear plastic glasses with the same amount of water on the tops of the carbs. Adjust the carbs till all the water vibrates the same amount. He says that he can get carbs closer together that way much better than with either vacuum gauges or the mercury sticks.

Comment

What ever works 8)

Comment

Originally posted by Jay B

He does this with water glasses as well. Set 4 clear plastic glasses with the same amount of water on the tops of the carbs. Adjust the carbs till all the water vibrates the same amount. He says that he can get carbs closer together that way much better than with either vacuum gauges or the mercury sticks.
                        I tink i'll try the water test only ill use beer. that way if it comes out good I can celebrate!

Comment

Careful!

Watch out, you might foam up a perfectly good beer, lol! Thanks for
                          all the help guys, looks like a 140 is all I can squeeze in.

Comment

question

Am I right in assuming that the 85 GS700EF manual is the right manual for my 85 GS700E, with the F being the year identifier?

Comment

Re: question

Originally posted by livin4real
                              Am I right in assuming that the 85 GS700EF manual is the right manual for my 85 GS700E, with the F being the year identifier?
                              Yes.

Comment

Working...
                              X