Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone rebuilt the front master cyl.

hi ;
    i have a question. i'm rebuilding the whole front brake system. i have rebuilt ,or replaced everything. i have to rebuild the front master cyclinder. my question is . how do you get the piston out of the master cyclinder. do you hammer it out through the banjo bolt side?won't that damage the piston. any help would be great

Snap ring behind the rubber dust boot. Usually hidden by rust.

Then it comes right out.
    Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Originally posted by coolgoldtiger View Post
      hi ;
      i have a question. i'm rebuilding the whole front brake system. i have rebuilt ,or replaced everything. i have to rebuild the front master cyclinder. my question is . how do you get the piston out of the master cyclinder. do you hammer it out through the banjo bolt side?won't that damage the piston. any help would be great
      just as spchips says, there is a snap ring. and it's a tricky little bugger sometimes too.. specially when it's rusty. if you don't have a pair of snap ring pliers, you may consider getting a set.. you can pick up a cheap pair for around 5 dollars.. can save a LOT of time.

Comment

your gonna need the snap ring pliers.... no other way i dont think

i rebuilt mine and even with the pliers its a pain....

Comment

Most snap ring pliers can't reach it. They have to be long enough and narrow enough to get down to the ring.

http://www.mikesxs.net/mikesxs-tools...ategory_id=7.1 Scroll down near the bottom.

Or if you want to pay 3x as much...
          Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and personal watercraft.

Comment

i bought a pair at autozone, and used my bench grinder to narrow them down a little bit so they would fit inside...

no harm done, and now they fit

Comment

I used a pair of Craftsman long needle-nose. They have thin jaws and worked well for me. They were in there cheap bin, I don't think more than $2-3.00. Good luck.

Andy
              1986 GS1150ES "JUNO QUICK”
              1984 GS1100GK
              1982 GS1100E “RANGER”
              1978 GS750E-"JUNO RIOT" on the road in 2013
              1980 GS550GL complete, original, 4900 miles

Comment

As everybody else has said. Long nose pliers and get the clip out (theres two slots in there so beware when you reassemble it) and then the remainder is pulled out the same way.

Sometimes its a struggle, other just fall out. If the inner bore is scored or damaged then the master cylinder has had it.

Suzuki mad

Comment

thanks for all the help. i took it out but it was rusted in there good and broke when i took it off. hope the new kit comes with one. everything else was good. the walls of the master cy. are good. the problom was that the little hole was really,really pluged up.i had to get a very tiny drill bit(from hobby,model car building) and drill out the black gunk. but it won't hurt to have fresh rubber in there after 25 years. live and learn,i guess. ordered the kit before i tore apart the master cyl. apart.

Comment

I just did this yesterday. The rebuild kit comes with everything you need. Clean out that rust in the MC where the snap ring groove is as well as you can and you'll probably have to carefully scrape a little bit off around the edge. I couldn't get the washer in below the groove because there was a little bit of crud buildup holding it back which I scraped out. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                    X