Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!

As so often happens, a simple repair has turned into a nightmare. We have an oil leak at the shifter, so we decided to change the gear oil in the secondary drive and the final drive. Both were just n.a.s.t.y. I honestly don't know if they have ever been changed.

We cannot for the life of us get that stupid seal out! I have searched, and read, and searched some more, and tried the tricks suggested. Now the seal is so buggered up, we can't even ride. The outside edge will not come loose. The inside edge was already loose and that's why it was leaking. We tried a dental pick and a pick set from AutoZone. I have tried putting a drywall screw in, but it won't drive into it. I am scared to take a drill bit to it, and don't have one long enough. We even tried running a knife around the outside edge to see if we could break it loose. This sucker won't budge!

Help!

My little offering

Hi Mr. wolfman,

I found a few related threads. Maybe they will help.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

The most successful suggestion seemed to be to drill a couple of small holes in the old seal, put a couple of screws in them, and use the screws to pull out the old seal. Either that, or take out the clutch and punch it out from the other side. Good luck.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

drill a small hole in the seal Then use the screw method

Comment

Do as Lynn says. You need the hole to allow a self tapper, preferably steel, to turn into the outer, which is usually a metal ring and will not easily give up its home of many years.
        You can put a self tapper on both sides and pull on both heads at the same time

Comment

after hours of being patient and using s dental pick. and a long hook and pick set I got from Harbor freight. I got it out and put the new seal in. I couldn't get it in all the way but it isn't leaking so I watch it and see if it holds.

Comment

If you ever have to replace it again, make sure you GREASE the seal inside & out before you install it & it will go right on. Ray.

Comment

Working...
            X