• Show
Clear All

starts and screams to 7000rpm

I just finally got my 750 T all re-assembled,here's what I've done:

cleaned carbs,new o-rings,synced and floats set

tank cleaned and lined

new air filter,air box is nice and tight

fresh oil and filter

now I started her up (this is after not having run for over a year)and she fired up almost immediately!Great!But she revved to ~7000,so I quickly shut 'er down.Is there a link to proper throttle cable adjustment procedure?Hopefully that's the problem....I'm still thrilled that it fired and ran....

Originally posted by T-Dog View Post
    I just finally got my 750 T all re-assembled,here's what I've done:

cleaned carbs,new o-rings,synced and floats set

tank cleaned and lined

new air filter,air box is nice and tight

fresh oil and filter

now I started her up (this is after not having run for over a year)and she fired up almost immediately!Great!But she revved to ~7000,so I quickly shut 'er down.Is there a link to proper throttle cable adjustment procedure?Hopefully that's the problem....I'm still thrilled that it fired and ran....
    Cable is too tight or the throttle stop idle adjustment is in way too far.

Just loosen everything up until nothing is pulling at all, then tighten the throttle stop until it idles, then tighten the cable so there is just a little play and turning the bars does not effect the idle speed. Tighten the locknuts on the cable.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Did you remove and clean the right hand control unit?
      I know I put the cable end in the wrong hole once and it did the same thing.

~John
      :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
      Past:73' CL360, 74' CB450, 80' GS550,
      83' CB550SC, 78' CX500, 81' GL1100,
      85' GL1200LTD, 85' Honda Rebel
      84' GS1150, 92' GSX 1100G
      Current:
      80' GS1100E,,
      81 Yamaha XS1100,
      01' Bandit 1200
      sigpic

Comment

thanks

for the quick response.Any GS'er visits me in Winnipeg,I'm buyin' No,John,rh control unit untouched,thanks though

Comment

new prob

dang why don't any of you live in Winnipeg?I adjusted the throttle cable backed it off as described above and it sat there idling away.just over 1000rpm,but not evenly,some fluctuation.I decided to feel the exh pipes #1,#2 hot,3 and 4 not?Huh?what gives,aren't the coils 1&4,2&3?I pulled the plug on#4 cyl and grounded it to the head,pressing starter I saw an orangey,brown spark.Bad,right,should be fat and blue,methinks.I was pretty fanatical about the carb clean procedure.Should I talk the tech at the local Suzuki shop into stopping by to check it out?I'm sure a qualified tech could sort it out in no time.I'm learning,but sure have a ways to go

Comment

Originally posted by T-Dog View Post
            Should I talk the tech at the local Suzuki shop into stopping by to check it out?I'm sure a qualified tech could sort it out in no time.I'm learning,but sure have a ways to go
            He probably wouldn't be able to find the computer hook up on your bike, so I doubt he could explain it to you*

How many volts to the coils? probably a candidate for the coil relay mod
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

computer hookup lmao,good one Big T

he's actually,are you ready a former H-D tech,loves the old GS's.Good dude.Coil relay mod ,eh?I'll check that out,sounds familiar,thanks

Comment

Try a new spark plug cap
                Make sure the intake boot clamp screw heads arent' blocking the throttle linkage.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                X