Wheels and brakes from '86 gs550es onto a '77 gs550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheels and brakes from '86 gs550es onto a '77 gs550

Does anyone know if this can be done? I'm looking for the '86 rear wheel to bolt into the '77 swing arm and I want to know if the sprocket will match. Also need to know if the front fork and triple tree from the '86 will fit the front tube on the '77.

If nobody has a ready answer for this, does anyone know of a site or possibly a post on this forum that lists those specs?

Thanks,
    -Chris

Wheels will go (though different diameter), pass on the sprocket (but they're cheap anyway or swap the sprocket over from the 77 - it'll fit) and I'd be pretty confident on the triple tree fitting.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Would you happen to know what diameter the '86 wheels will be? 18f/17r?

Comment

16 front / 18 rear. That's UK spec and I think it's common. I'm toying with a 'lightweight project' for my 78 550 which may involve these wheels as I've got some in the shed and they are much lighter wheels.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Yup, 16/18.
          I have an '85 GS550ES. I can take whatever measurements you want that don't require anything more than a ruler or calipers to measure.

Comment

I think thats really all of the info I needed. Thank you for helping me. I'm gonna see if I can talk this guy into parting this bike out (way to many problems, and he's motivated to sell.)

Comment

to fit the 86 tripple tree You will have to do a conversion on the steering stem bearings. ball brgs to tapered roller brgs
              www.allballsracing.com

Comment

Working...
              X