Starter Bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Bolts

Are the two bolts holding the starter to the engine also the grounds?

Reason I ask is while trying to put my starter back in, BOTH bolts broke in half, now I have half a bolt inside the hole and nothing to hold my starter down. She still starts! so It cant be all that bad, but nothing is holding the starter down other than the + wire.

It is the # 14 Bolts http://www.bikebandit.com/assets/sch...SU0320_024.gif

Yes, they help assure the grounding of the starter. Apparently there is enough contact for it to still work, but I would worry greatly about the starter jumping out of place while trying to crank the engine, causing other problems.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Let me go see how hard it is going to be to get the deepest half out, man this stinks...

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Yes, they help assure the grounding of the starter. Apparently there is enough contact for it to still work, but I would worry greatly about the starter jumping out of place while trying to crank the engine, causing other problems.

So I can kick start her in the meantime, does that leave any problem of the starter moving while riding? I need to ride it to a proper garage this weekend to drill out the broken bolts and replace. I really have no idea how I can get the starter out, it barely budges. Need to get out the drill!

Comment

Originally posted by peterpressure View Post
          So I can kick start her in the meantime, does that leave any problem of the starter moving while riding? I need to ride it to a proper garage this weekend to drill out the broken bolts and replace. I really have no idea how I can get the starter out, it barely budges. Need to get out the drill!
          If you aren't gonna use it, could probably pack it down tight with some padding under the cover for the short ride.

Comment

Go get a 1/8 inch LEFT hand drill bit & remove the starter. Using the left hand bit I'll bet it will back the screws right out. Ray.

Comment

Be careful if the starter pops out of place You will have an instant major oil leak

Comment

With half of the bolt shaft still in the starter housing I don't think you are going to be able to pull up enough on the starter to get it out. Good luck with getting those bolts out.

Comment

All great ideas!! Thank you

Comment

I destroyed my starter trying to get it out so I could get at the broken bolts. Hammered the broken bolts flat, chiseled a slot into the flat broken bolt then easily removed them with a flat head screw driver. Bought a new starter at the junkyard and replaced! Problem solved, thanks guys!!

Comment

Working...
                    X