how to replace clutch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to replace clutch?

Got a '80 GS1100L and while riding at 70mph, I started slowing down and was still in 5th. So I shifted through all gears as my bike rolled to a stop. It seems my clutch is gone. I adjusted it all the way out to get as much meat as I could and now hear a slight grinding sound. Any advice about replacement?
    Thanks fellas

You need to get the cover off to see what the damage is... whatever it doesn't sound good....

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Shaft or chain drive?
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I thought the 80 1100L was a chain drive? Ray.

Comment

Take the oil fill plug out and get your nose in there and take a whiff. If it stinks like a camp fire your plates are done.

Comment

If the fibers look like this youve found your problem...

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
              If the fibers look like this youve found your problem...

Wow!! I just replaced my fibres and they looked new compared to these "bald" babies! I probably could have just put springs in mine but replaced the fibers anyway. Curious to find out the verdict for Cowboy.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                I thought the 80 1100L was a chain drive? Ray.
                I've seen the oddball 80 1100 shafty. Almost as oddball as my L model chain drive.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

This is why it is important to give as much info as possible ! Good luck, if it is "G" shaft drive you have the tipical wheel spline failure

Comment

It is a chain drive. I am unable to get to me bike until this weekend, but will take a whift after oil plug is removed to double check. Any advice on parts? Whats the difference between replacing springs verses the fibes? This is my daily communter, so I want to do it right with quality parts.

Comment

Even a badly worn clutch like the one in the pic above should still move. And it can take thousands of miles from when you first notice a slipping clutch until the bike can no longer move forward. It sounds like something else is wrong...
                      Currently bikeless
                      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Just replaced the clutch on a gs1150ef and took all of 45 min. just have gasket just in case and soaking the fibers for over an hour or over night in oil is a must . My clutch would not hold in 5th gear but 1 2 3 4 no prob.

Comment

What else could stop my forward momentum? There are no metal on metal sounds or the like. Engine sounds the same, except the grinding when I release the clutch now that I have got all the meat I possibly can. What would make the gears not engage and not make any sound? I dont even know where to start looking.
                          :-?

Comment

Pull the clutch cover. I bet your gear on the back of the clutch hub has come undone. If things don't look too bad in there I have one that is usable.

Comment

what kind of oil do you soak the new plates in? motor or gear?

Comment

Working...
                              X