running sort of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

running sort of

85 gs700 dipped carbs, cleaned every jet and passage, replaced intake o rings and all carb o rings only runs cyl 2 and 3 with choke on. Turn choke off and it dies no real throttle response since 2 cyl are not firing. My question is how are the coil packs firing is it possible to have a dead pack and that would cause no spark in those 2 cylinders. Pipes on 1 and 4 are cool and 2 and 3 are smokin hot. Should I try to swap packs to test or can I just move plug wires around? This is my first multi cylinder bike and I want to make sure that I am testing stuff the right way instead of just throwing money at this thing and buying parts I dont need. Thanks

Did you check to see if you are getting gas and spark to the outer cylinders?

Comment

Sounds like a bad coil or a bad connection. See if your getting power to the non-firing coil. It's the O/W wire.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by josh204 View Post
        85 gs700 dipped carbs, cleaned every jet and passage, replaced intake o rings and all carb o rings only runs cyl 2 and 3 with choke on. Turn choke off and it dies no real throttle response since 2 cyl are not firing. My question is how are the coil packs firing is it possible to have a dead pack and that would cause no spark in those 2 cylinders. Pipes on 1 and 4 are cool and 2 and 3 are smokin hot. Should I try to swap packs to test or can I just move plug wires around? This is my first multi cylinder bike and I want to make sure that I am testing stuff the right way instead of just throwing money at this thing and buying parts I dont need. Thanks
        Well, you cant simply swap the plug wires from 2 and 3 to 1 and 4. Bike wont run like that. I am trying to mill this around in my head, but i THINK you might get away with pulling the coil feed wires from the 1and4 coil and putting them on the 2and3 coil. If 2and3 are then dead, you know its the coil. I may be wrong about this, but i think you can. The coil doesnt know which cylinders its firing, the WIRES do. OR, much simpler likely, test the feed wires from one and four with a multimeter. Duh..heh, im an idiot.

Comment

Why not pull the plug from the #1 cyl ground it to the head & crank the motor to check for spark..
          FYI Some people have had their carbs apart 3-4 times before they got them to work properly

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
            Why not pull the plug from the #1 cyl ground it to the head & crank the motor to check for spark..
            FYI Some people have had their carbs apart 3-4 times before they got them to work properly
            Good point Lynn. Recently, we've had some carbs apart a couple times, had the bike running nicely, took it out for a spin a couple times, then the next day went to start it, and had the bike act like it was clogged up again. They can be a bit persnikity at times for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
              Well, you cant simply swap the plug wires from 2 and 3 to 1 and 4. Bike wont run like that. I am trying to mill this around in my head, but i THINK you might get away with pulling the coil feed wires from the 1and4 coil and putting them on the 2and3 coil. If 2and3 are then dead, you know its the coil. I may be wrong about this, but i think you can. The coil doesnt know which cylinders its firing, the WIRES do. OR, much simpler likely, test the feed wires from one and four with a multimeter. Duh..heh, im an idiot.
              You can't do this cause one lead is male and the other is female. That way you can't switch them up by accident.
              Unless of course you want to cut wires.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
              X