Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock leak

Hello all,

It took me months to stumble into this site and I have been trolling it for days now. I've read probably over a hundred threads in entirety (including the starter threads). This is a wealth of info that would probably be lost if not for the internet.

This may be a stupid question, but I couldn't find the answer anywhere. And once I have the answer the bike will be put together and I will post pics...

I just bought a '78 GS750. After some time in the shop (I don't have a garage) I got the bike back with a leaky gas tank. That is fixed. Now after I reattach the petcock I have a leak. I started by buying a new petcock. Same problem.

The leak appears to be coming from where the petcock bolts thread into the tank or around the seam where the petcock meets the tank. I don't think I lost any washers or anything after I originally took it off (I was meticulous about separating parts in ziplocks).

I am basically just trusting the oval gasket on the top of the petcock to seal it up.

Should I be doing something else? Such as using something in the threads before screwing the bolts in (like loctite)? Am I skipping some kind of prepping other than cleaning the surface of the tank? Should there be any washers or rubber grommets around the bolts?

I've googled and googled and I bought a Clymer...I have no idea. I don't see any kind of warping, it butts together with no noticable gaps.

Thanks in advance...

PS. I'm going to rebuild the other one just to have around. How do I get the hard plastic square piece back between the two soft square pieces on the metal nub (vacuum side, sorry it is hard to describe).
    Last edited by Guest; 07-01-2008, 10:45 PM.

welcome

the diagram shows gaskets on the screws
    GS850GT

Comment

i see you figured the right of passage on this site

Originally posted by lindsaylohan View Post
      And once I have the answer the bike will be put together and I will post pics...
      .................................................. .
      GS850GT

Comment

i think #6 in those pics are just lock washers......

or regular flat washers....

i would say get yourself some hylomar gasket maker, its the best stuff for these surfaces, then reassemble it. i put it on the tank, and the petcock, and i have no issues...

Comment

In the parts diagrams it is called a gasket

Comment

#6 is a washer with a rubber seal vulcanized on the inside so it will seal (sometimes called a Dowty seal). A must have item.
            Last edited by Nessism; 07-02-2008, 12:09 AM.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to try to find these dowty washers today and some gasoline resistant teflon type tape for the threads.

On this pic you can see the square piece. Somehow I have to get a hard piece of plastic back between the two layers of soft gasket square layers. Anyone ever pull this off? I imagine I am going to tear the thin layers up.

Comment

On this pic you can see the square piece. Somehow I have to get a hard piece of plastic back between the two layers of soft gasket square layers. Anyone ever pull this off? I imagine I am going to tear the thin layers up.
                http://www.siriusconinc.com/ebayimages/18-4354.jpg
                most people advise against the fuel tap rebuild kits (not sure why though)
                GS850GT

Comment

Copper washers will also work and should be available at most hardware stores.

Comment

I have nothing to add other than a welcome to the forum. It's good to see you're out of rehab.

Comment

So the new petcock you bought is the oem or stock petcock?

I replaced my older petcock with an aftermarket one from Z1 and it works great. You just have to be sure and turn it off if you park for a while.

However, after installing my new petcock, I started getting a leak somewhere to. I was getting really p-oed because I couldn't tell where it was leaking. It actually looked like it was leaking right out of the inerd of the petcock.

I was ready to get a new one, when I decided to place around with my fuel line. There must of been a tine opening/air leaking at the pet cock end of the fuel line. Fuel was actually being pushed back up and around the petcock making it a look like a mystery leak from the petcock itself. Once the fuel line was properly secured, NO LEAK.

Just some thoughts.

Good luck LL!

Rick

Comment

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to try to find these dowty washers today and some gasoline resistant teflon type tape for the threads.

http://www.siriusconinc.com/ebayimages/18-4354.jpg
                        Don't worry about taping the threads. The washer will do all the necessary sealing. I've already been down this road.

I'm not clear on the square thing you're talking about though. Not sure what you're asking about.
                        Dogma
                        --
                        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Hear Hear to Dowty Washers!

I tried to respond last night but it kept saying server is too busy try again later.

A GSresource internet traffic jam.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                            Don't worry about taping the threads. The washer will do all the necessary sealing. I've already been down this road.

I'm not clear on the square thing you're talking about though. Not sure what you're asking about.
                            Shouldn't you be out fixing a master cyl right about now?

Comment

Originally posted by 82Shafty View Post
                              Shouldn't you be out fixing a master cyl right about now?
                              That's scheduled for the morning of the 4th. Can't get to it before that. the wife has the Grand Prix, I have the GS. No hurry.
                              Dogma
                              --
                              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                              '80 GS850 GLT
                              '80 GS1000 GT
                              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
                              X