Weeping half moons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weeping half moons

I just finished my first valve clearance and it went great.

However, when I did it, only one of the half moons was loose and popped out. So I used a little ultra black and popped it back in.

Now, after running the engine, it looks like a couple of the other half moons a weeping a tiny bit of oil. They seemed really tight so I didn't bother taking them out and re-sealing them.

Is this a big deal? What should I do?

Thanks!

Rick

If they are not leaking, don't worry about them now, but order a set of 4 for the next valve adjust. New ones are nice and soft, and will not leak.

By the way, how did the spreadsheet work for you?
    Last edited by Steve; 07-02-2008, 09:48 AM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

They are cheap, as rubber ages with the heating/cooling process it hardens, grab a new set, some gasket sealer (brown gooey stuff) and set in place... No more leaks here.

I don't like doing things twice... do it right the first time and enjoy the riding time.

Comment

I wish I had replaced mine at last valve adjust (about 1500 miles ago). I just zoned out on it, and didn't think about it. They weep a bit. Really only oil I lose anywhere now. I'll get them next time.

Comment

You don't even need to fully remove the valve cover to replace them and you'll be happy to not have to clean oil off your engine. I would order a new set and do it. Also get some threebond 1211 (or is it 1121?) sealant. Bikebandit carries it. They'll still leak without a proper seal. Just use a tiny bit. Good luck.

Josh

Comment

Those half moons are notorious for popping out. Especially if you use too much goop when you install them. A tip for you is to install them backwards.

Comment

Originally posted by ironsheik View Post
              Also get some threebond 1211 (or is it 1121?) sealant. Bikebandit carries it. They'll still leak without a proper seal. Just use a tiny bit.
              and only put that 'tiny bit' on the rounded part. If you put it on top, too, it will stick to the gasket, which can already be hard enough to remove.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I put mine in backwards on the G but not enough room on the skunk so they are in the right way.

If backwards & leaking a tiny amount, clean it up & put a smear of silicon or gasket maker or RTV or something on the outside... worked for me.

Not sure you could do this if you put them in the "right way", probably but you'd need more than a smear.

One thing to note (& I believe it's why I got a dribble on one on my G)... A realgasket has such low torque figures it doesn't really compress the plugs, fine if they are seated hard & are used but new ones don't seat that well, benefit from a bit more pressure on the top of them.

Dan
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I just took out the weepers (3 out of 4) and put a little ultra black silicone gasket maker stuff. It worked on the other one. I will see if this works. I will still order another set of the little buggers.

Thanks for your help!

Rick

Comment

Ali Half Moons

A German machinist was advertising aluminium ones at a reasonable price on Ebay, a couple of years back. I bought a set, glued them in place at the deck height and have had no trouble with leaks since. I disturbed the cover to do a valve clearance check after 8000 kms and was able to button it up again, relying on the vesrah paper gasket, with no leaks.

I could have made my own, but the time spent wasn't worth the effort, especially at his price.
                    The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                    GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                    GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                    GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Working...
                    X