2 cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 cylinder

ok well i have a 1985 gs700e with about 18k i recently pulled and cleaned the carbs all new o rings,intake boot o rings and boots, float bowl gaskets ect. it runs and idles now but i think its only running on 2 cylinders cause when i was setting the mixtures with the colortune cylinders 1and 3 seemed lean so i felt the pipes and they were cold while cylinders 2 and 4 were hot. theres spark cause i see it with the colortune. i pulled the float bowl screws and gas come flowing forth. i dont really know where to go from here cause i know very little about bikes. i look forward to hearing your ideas thanks.i have also done a valve check.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-02-2008, 11:55 AM.

Most likely you didn't get them clean enough, something still clogged up.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

the carbs seem really clean the little jet in #3 was clogged but #1 looks all clean. #1 and #3 carbs are the ones with the vents could not having a line on them affect them?

Comment

thats only the vent lines so the fuel can flow into the bowl

other than the clean jets, you need clean internal passages in the carbs, and for that you need to take them off and spray all the passages with the pressurized carb cleaner (as a minimum)

try running the bike with the throttle open a little and see if the other two cylinders fire
        GS850GT

Comment

i tore them down and dipped them in berrymans overnight before i put the new orings and gaskets in. when i was tunning the mixtures if i revved it i would get a yellowish flame somtimes as opposed to no flame.
          Last edited by Guest; 07-03-2008, 11:49 AM.

Comment

run it with the throttle open till it warms up and see if it idles
            make sure the idle knob is set accurately and the carbs are bench synced, that there's no leaks at the intake boots and that the airbox is sealed as well
            GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by 85gsjim View Post
              if i revved it i would get a yellowish flame somtimes as opposed to no flame.
              "no flame" as in "no spark", or what?
              GS850GT

Comment

At this point I wouldn't go any further without doing a compression test.
                and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                __________________________________________________ ______________________
                2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

I am assuming you have replaced the plugs or at least disconnected the plug wires during your testing. may be stating the obvious but check plugs 1 and 4 should be paired on one coil (usually the left) and plugs 2 and 3 should come from the other (typically right).

Comment

Did you bench sync the carbs?
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Bench sync carbs

Hi Mr. 85gsjim,

Here is some information I saved from some excellent posts on the subject.

I hope it helps.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

the carbs have been bench synced as well as synced them with a carbtune. How would i go about doing a compression test?

Comment

Did you rebuild the carbs and not set the float level?
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

yes i set the float levels. does anyone know if i can do a compression test with the carbs off or if that could skew the numebers?

Comment

A compression test without the carbs on would be PERFECT.

If you do a compression test with the carbs on, you have to hold the trottle wide open, anyway, so having the carbs off would be the ultimate in NO restriction.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X