it runs! fuel tank question(81 gs550)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it runs! fuel tank question(81 gs550)

hooked up my batt charger to the bike, sprayed starting fluid into the carbs and bam, fired right up and ran smooth . my question is about the petcock. the larger of the 2 ports(front) is fuel and the smaller(back) is vac,right? there is some fuel flow out of the vac hose. can you rebuild the petcock or should i just buy a new one? it was nice to hear it run, and only paying $300 for it made it better :-)

Originally posted by emeraldcoupe View Post
    hooked up my batt charger to the bike, sprayed starting fluid into the carbs and bam, fired right up and ran smooth . my question is about the petcock. the larger of the 2 ports(front) is fuel and the smaller(back) is vac,right? there is some fuel flow out of the vac hose. can you rebuild the petcock or should i just buy a new one? it was nice to hear it run, and only paying $300 for it made it better :-)
    Yes, your petcock is bad, yes, you can rebuild, but no, you should just buy a new one. Some people rebuild with no problems, but at maybe 50 bucks for a petcock, I'd just replace and as another member says "Be good for ANOTHER 27 years"

Comment

do it right...

I had the exact same problem. I took the advice from many others on here and went ahead and bought the new one. There's a few different places to look at. www.bikebandit.com or www.ronayers.com or do some other searching to get your best deal. I didn't want to have to rebuild it, and have to "refix it" again later. My peace of mind is deafening! Good luck! Sounds like an excellent buy, too!

Comment

thanks guys. the local suzuki place can have one in 4 days for $53.00 . going to order it tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
        X