Now that it runs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that it runs...

Well, let me tell you, what an awesome feeling. After switching out the petcock on my 97 Katana 600, I called a coworker (who just bought a 98 Ninja) and said, "Let's go for a ride." I only had a little over an hour before I had to pick up the girls, so off we went. Now is when I can find out what I need to tweek to get it running great.

A) The previous owner removed the baffles from the exhaust (dual). Any easy ways to replace/fix that, or just get some new sleeves? I'm even interested in just getting some scratch and dent ones just to see if it runs better. I get some backfire when letting off the gas and am just assuming that this has a lot to do with it. Any suggestions on this one?

B) I got a chance to look inside the tank, and noticed that at the bottom/middle is a metal tube that runs up like a zig/zag to the top of the lid of the gas tank where there is a hole. When I have about a gallon or so of gas in the tank, everything is fine. When I start to fill it up, it begins to run out the "vent" tubing off the bottom of the tank. It gurggles like you would pour out liquid from a container with no vent. So, I am (once again) assuming that there is some hole in this metal tubing line inside the tank. Is that a possibility? If so, fixable? Also, is it going to hurt to ride it around with a crimp on that line, to keep the gas from spewing onto my hot exhaust?

A work in progress, I tell ya...but for $1500 and only 6,000 miles, the wife is starting to come around now that it's running! I appreciate the advice as always!

Cruising Craig in KY

Not sure on B, but A is a classic symptom of "too lean" whch removing the baffles could well cause.

Comment

is it possible???

...with the baffles (?) being taken out of the muffler, is it possible to buy inserts to put back in there and attach, or is replacing the whole exhaust my only option. Thought I could buy a "slip on", but apparently my bike is in the year prior to that transition. If it IS possible, how hard is it and is it something that I could do myself? Thanks for your input as usual.

Cruisin' (with backfire) Craig in KY

Comment

Not sure if you could find bafles to fit or not. Somebody else might have more knowledge. I think (if your headers are good) you could weld on the muffler from numerous other bikes after cutting yours off.

Comment

me thinks your not gonna get many answers as this is a CLASSIC GS forum, but here goes:

baffles will make it run lean. you can cut the end of the muffler off and weld on a new one.

i dont know about the gas tank vent thingy.

PS: Doctorgonzo, you're all over the place, arent you? every thread i''ve clicked on today, you've replied to it.

Comment

now that it runs...

I do apologize for the questions in the CLASSIC GS forum, but to be honest, this was the one place I found that had any real answers for my bike. Older or newer, by far, this has been the place to find so many answers for someone who has never owned a bike before and willing to fix it themselves. Thanks again for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by en12gine View Post
              I do apologize for the questions in the CLASSIC GS forum, but to be honest, this was the one place I found that had any real answers for my bike. Older or newer, by far, this has been the place to find so many answers for someone who has never owned a bike before and willing to fix it themselves. Thanks again for the info.
              Hey, as far as I'm concerned this is a GS site but it is also a SUZUKI site! I will be glad to help you as I am an ex-dealer mechanic. Call me at 714-356-7845. Ray.

Comment

hey i wasnt angry or anything. i was just warning you.

Comment

What bike? Is the fuel level sensor leaking? What else would leak with only having a gallon or more of fuel in the tank?

Comment

Could be the tank itself. Pinhole leaks are sometimes hard to find, and can crop up around the seams of the tank, especially if it had been stored empty.

Comment

He said the excess fuel came out of a "vent tubing" ?? What other overflows are there on these tanks?

Comment

On HIS tank? No idea. That thing is a far cry from our GS tanks. On a GS tank, yes, there is an overflow/vent on the level sender unit. It also breathes around the cap. No idea on his tank however.

Comment

What bike? Is it just the petcock off a katana or what?

Comment

Scrappy,
                            Please read the first post in this thread,
                            Ed

Comment

now that it runs???

Well, I was going to bring it in to work today, and remove the tank to take pictures of what I was talking about, but the damn thing started running and then lost power and died...about a mile from the house. Yeah...I pushed it all the way back home. So, I'll attempt again tomorrow for sure. Let me see if I can describe it better.

Actually, after reading a few other threads, I believe that I might have a better understanding of what the deal is. The hole in the lid appears to be attached to the tubing inside the tank, which then has a nipple on the bottom, which in turn has the attached rubber tubing running down the side. I believe that there has been some corrosion inside the tank, and caused a hole somewhere along that line. When I have about a gallon or so of gas, there has been no problem. When I fill it to a certain point, gas starts to spill out of the rubber hose coming from that nipple on the bottom of the tank. So, I've had to clamp it shut so gas doesn't come out, or have it spill all over my exhaust.....very bad!

I do appreciate all the help from everyone, including the older bikes. I was wondering (just for my own humor), how far back do you have to go to be considered a "classic"???

Comment

Working...
                              X