gs550l needs carb and jetting help!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs550l needs carb and jetting help!?

I'm a newbie. Just bought the bike and fell for the ' you just need to ride out the dead spot' deal.
    Here's the full story. This bike in all is great. THe previous owner put after market muffler pipes on, Uni air pod, cleaned and put larger jets on the Mikuni(?)carbs. It ran great when I test rode it except for a little bit of a dead spot around 2200to2500 rpm. Now I can barely get it above 35-40mph. I get all kinds of power to there now it starts to go flat around 4-5000rpm. Sometimes when it's well warmed up it gets up to 50+ but it's not consistent. It also seems to suck the gas and I smell like gas fumes. Also when I role off the gas when it's flat, it jumps!
    I've talked to a few diff. folks and shops ($$$$$$) I've heard jetting, poor cleaning, go back to stock (if I can find the parts) and sure I can fix it for $3-400 everytime I go in to adjust the jets till I get it rite.
    This bikes in great shape and I truely am dedicated to get it running.
    Any advise, local(Portland,OR) help or any tips on local private mechanics would be appreciated.
    Help me out to get this great bike back on the road.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-02-2008, 06:46 PM.

what have you done so far to the bike? any carb work? cleaning? what is the condition of the air filters? do you have a fuel filt in? do you have a manual?
    if everything else is right, then you have a good tuning job ahead of you.

Comment

so far

I picked up a couple replacement fuel filters. I learned form my VW days to start with the cheapest and easiest fix first. My manual is on the way. I have one on hold at the library until mine comes in. I havn't done anything other than look for help at the local shops and experienced mechanic friends( no time)

Comment

Best to ask questions

Sorry that you are having problems with your bike. My advise would be to ask questions here instead of just buying new things trying to fix problems. You might be (and probably will) be replacing parts that are working fine. What year is your bike? BassCliff will be along to officially welcome you. Read every link in his post and be sure to spend a lot of time on his website reading all of his and others guides. And download a factory manual if you haven't already.

If you have already cleaned the carbs, and have the bike in top shape, I would guess that it would be the jetting and that you have a fair amount of time ahead of you.

Comment

Were to begin

THanks for the advise It's a '81 GS550LX I bought this just recently. I can only go on what I was told. I guess it's time to start wrenching and see were I am. The most trusted advice so far is 'check the cleaning job supposedly done before I bought it.' I guess it's time to start reading and getting greasy. If you have a link to the website you were talking about handy as well as a link for the factory manual i sure would appreciate it.
          Last edited by Guest; 07-02-2008, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mtn stream View Post
            If you have a link to the website you were talking about handy as well as a link for the factory manual i sure would appreciate it.
            It's the lask link at the bottom of the "In the Garage" section on the home page. Link here.

I have a '80 GS550E that I am in the process of getting running again (hasn't been started in 20 years!).

This is what I am doing right off of the bat because I have not clue how it was stored or how the PO treated it.

1. Cleaned carbs (replaced all O rings)
            2. Synced carbs (bench and manometer)
            3. New O-rings for intake boots
            4. Adjusted valve clearances
            5. Changed oil
            6. Changed plugs
            7. Thoroughly cleaned and re-lubed chain
            8. Coil relay modification
            9. Lubed throttle and clutch cables
            10. Check ignition timing
            11. New petcock

Hope this all helps. If you still have questions just ask (but use the search funtion first).

Nice looking bike. Keep us informed of how it goes and we always like pics.

Comment

You need a jet kit like a Dynojet for the pods the pipes that flow more freely.
              The guy jetted it way too rich and you are fouling plugs. That's why it's running like sh!t.
              Also make sure the valves are in spec.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
              X