swapping thing inbetween the tachs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

swapping thing inbetween the tachs

A while back I recived a GS550 gauge cluster from a random guy at a gas station. I wanted it cause it has the fuel guage thing in the middle. I have a 550T(the one with out the fuel gauge) but I have the tank off the L modle (it has the plugs for a fuel gauge) I belive.

So I was wondering if there was a way to just swap the thing between the tachs so I could hook up my tank to the gauge?

I would just do it with out asking but I really want this thing so I wanted to ask and make sure I didnt break anything.

Thank you
    Jake

bump bump bump

Comment

On the two wires that come out of the fuel tank. The black/white one will go to ground and the y/b one will go into the fuel sensor.
      The colors might be different but the same concept.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Chef is right on with his info, but i wonder if your gauges will accept the console. Usually the screw patterns are different. I have yet to find gauges of different design that have the same screw set up. Why not just get a set of gauges off fleabay and swap out the whole thing? The wiring itself is usually not that different, maybe a harness here or there that is, but if you are carefull, and use your wiring diagram, you can pop the pins out of the harness and put them back where they need to go based off the harness on your bike. I had to do it when using some sections of a loom out of an 80 750 to replace the hack job the PO did on my 77 750s loom.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          On the two wires that come out of the fuel tank. The black/white one will go to ground and the y/b one will go into the fuel sensor.
          The colors might be different but the same concept.
          I understand that much. thats kiddy stuff I mean putting the new middle thing in and taking out my old one.

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
          Chef is right on with his info, but i wonder if your gauges will accept the console. Usually the screw patterns are different. I have yet to find gauges of different design that have the same screw set up. Why not just get a set of gauges off fleabay and swap out the whole thing? The wiring itself is usually not that different, maybe a harness here or there that is, but if you are carefull, and use your wiring diagram, you can pop the pins out of the harness and put them back where they need to go based off the harness on your bike. I had to do it when using some sections of a loom out of an 80 750 to replace the hack job the PO did on my 77 750s loom.
          thank you very helpful. and you think there is pretty much no way to swap the middle thing easily?

Comment

I guess it's time to grow up then.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by nisom512 View Post
              I understand that much. thats kiddy stuff I mean putting the new middle thing in and taking out my old one.

thank you very helpful. and you think there is pretty much no way to swap the middle thing easily?
              Well, I wouldnt think it would be EASY as in pull yours off and put this one on. But its likely not IMPOSSIBLE. But as I said, it would be simpler to buy a whole gauge set from Chef or ebay or where ever and swap the pins if need be to accomodate your wiring loom. THAT would be MUCH easier than trying to get a console that wasnt made for your gauge bracket to fit, AND do the needed rewire.

Comment

I don't have guages for this guy????

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                  I don't have guages for this guy????
                  Oh, bummer again! I thought you had some in your list o stuff for sale. My fault Pay no attention to the weird guy in the corner, he forgot to take his Aterol this morning and his ADD is flaring up

Comment

Working...
                  X