Need chain expertise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need chain expertise.

Posted a while back about the bike not being as easy to push around as I thought it should.

Aslo have been chasing this stupid clicking sound that increases with speed.

Turns out I've got at least one frozen link on the chain, dont ask me how as I maintain the hell out of this bike, must've froze up over winter while it was hanging on the wall while i worked on the bike.

SO.

My options are to buy a new 630 chain and sprockets and keep it stock, or go 530 at the same time I replace everything anyway.

Opinions?

I haven't had my chain driven E that long, but I just take 10 minutes and use an old toothbrush(benefit of having 6 kids- plenty of old toothbrushes) dipped in motor oil and brush the surface facing the sprocket every 600 miles and then plan on soaking it in kerosene to clean periodically just like the manual says to do(they don't mention the toothbrush though!).
    I wouldn't be too concerned, unless you're popping a lot of wheelies and you park your bike outdoors.
    Is that why you need the spare chain?...and sprocket on hand?
    Last edited by Guest; 07-03-2008, 06:20 AM.

Comment

How old is the chain and is it an o-ring type?
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Mine was super stiff.. O ring chain. Took it off & drenched it on WD40 & went round & manually spun each centre roller. Some were pretty stuck but it did the trick.

When I replace mine I will go 530 with new sprockets etc. You might as well for the cost. Not much more than just a 630 chain & it will last longer with all new gear.

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          How old is the chain and is it an o-ring type?
          Honestly man, it's probably original stuff.

Comment

What is the advantage of a 530 chain over a 630. I need to alter the gearing on my GS, who sells the sprockets. Not Suzuki I'd guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
              What is the advantage of a 530 chain over a 630. I need to alter the gearing on my GS, who sells the sprockets. Not Suzuki I'd guess.
              My understanding is that the 530 is used on newer bikes and is 2lbs lighter but with the same tensile strength....less weight means a little more hp at the wheel and faster 1/4 mile times?
              The 630 may still be more rugged in the long run.
              Is it worth the cost to change over on the older bikes?

Comment

Don't get a little girlie 530 chain get a beefy 630 chain :-)

If the sprockets are worn you might want to see how much the 530 conversion would be vs. the 630 chain w/ new sprockets.

Comment

I put a 530 on the 750, it was cheaper than the 630 if I remember correctly.

AND! if for no other reason, get the 530 because it is easier to track down a 530 master link if you lose one while on the road. Most everywhere they stock 530, pretty rare to find a 630 master laying around in a shop!

Comment

Today's 530 is probably stronger than the old 630. It just depends on what you want to spend. My bike originally came with 530 and I've gone to 520. I'm using Vortex sprockets with Regina chain and it's wearing better than any 530 combination I used previously. I always bought Tsubaki or RK in the past along with new sprockets and even they didn't wear as well as my new combo. This is with engine mods I didn't have with the old stuff. RS flatslides ported head, Yosh Duplex exhaust, and about 40 lbs lighter makes the bike pull way harder than it did.

Comment

Originally posted by JHawkins View Post
                      I put a 530 on the 750, it was cheaper than the 630 if I remember correctly.

AND! if for no other reason, get the 530 because it is easier to track down a 530 master link if you lose one while on the road. Most everywhere they stock 530, pretty rare to find a 630 master laying around in a shop!
                      Hopefully that's all you lose when your master link let's go!

This thread reminds me how much I can argue with myself, owning the '83 1100 G and ES models....
                      "You chain guys are always fretting about this and that while I drive mile after mile without worry with the shaftie!"
                      "Oh yeah, you old farts on shafties are a half second slower in the quarter mile!"
                      ...and on and on.
                      I guess I'll tell myself to just shut up!:-)

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
                        Hopefully that's all you lose when your master link let's go!

This thread reminds me how much I can argue with myself, owning the '83 1100 G and ES models....
                        "You chain guys are always fretting about this and that while I drive mile after mile without worry with the shaftie!"
                        "Oh yeah, you old farts on shafties are a half second slower in the quarter mile!"
                        ...and on and on.
                        I guess I'll tell myself to just shut up!:-)
                        I have been very lucky! I have looked at my chain for no apparent reason twice, and both times I notice a missing master link clip! Fluke has save me twice!

Comment

I read about people putting a pot of silicon on it to stop that happening... Guess in the centre away from the pins.

www.z1enterprises.com do the conversion & are probably well priced too.

Dan
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I probably have kind of an old-fashioned idea about the whole thing. I have 630 chains on both bikes and they work great. They are really, really strong and, if taken care of, will last for many, many years. That being the case, price isn't even a factor because they only cost a few bucks a year.

If I could gain a couple of horsepower units by switching to 530, I wouldn't do it. If that was important, I wouldn't change chains..... I'd change motorcycles. What would I do with the extra power anyway? Jump over 22 Greyhound buses or something?
                            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Working...
                            X