Hard To Shift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard To Shift

My Gs1100 gl is hard to shift gears and get in neutral after riding at highway speeds. when i come to a stop the bike feels like it wants to go. put it on the center stand and you can't sop the rear wheel when clutch lever is pulled in. i tried to adjust cable out to max. it stil does the same as stated above.
    Does this mean its time for a clutch rebuild? is there a step by step guide on rebuild?
    How much does a rebuild cost? {with me doing it}
    What do i need for a total rebuild?

It could be as simple as a stretched clutch cable. How many miles ya got on her ?
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Ditto on the clutch cable.
      I bet it gets worse when it gets hot.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I would say make sure the clutch is properly adj

Make sure your actuator arm on by the crank case oil fill isn't loose.

Then, yes, the ol cable has probably seen better days. It's 12 bucks by the way.

Comment

It might have too heavy weight oil in it... but that would be worse when cold.

It might just simply need an oil change!! When was it last done. Old oil causes all those symptoms especially if it's been overheated (well it does in my experience). The 10 40w breaks done to become more like a 25w or 30w (hence the tugging on standstill). Too thick when standing & if dirty it always affects the shift.

The clutch cable is the more obvious one though.

Dan
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by rookie racer View Post
            ... put it on the center stand and you can't sop the rear wheel when clutch lever is pulled in. ...
            In regards to the wheel spinning with the clutch pulled in, that's normal, the clutch plates don't separate much, and the oil is enough to keep the wheel spinning if nothing is preventing it. This is of course made worse if the clutch isn't adjusted right.

Comment

I have many many miles on her , the o.d. says 26,000, but i think more. the cable looks original, yes i also agree. i will change oil and order a new cable. thanks for the reply's

Comment

Clutch

I had the EXACT same set of symptoms, all resolved by new clutch plates!

-- Bill

Comment

Hey neighbor ! where did you get the new clutch plates? and how much are they?

Comment

www.z1enterprises.com have them or flatout is cheapest for OEM.

About $75 plus shipping from Z1. I very much doubt you need them. GS's do very high mileage without needing new clutch fibres.
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I ordered a new cable today and i just changed oil and filter.

Comment

Just got back for a short ride to town, about 25 miles, after a oil and filter change, i bought mobil 1 synthetic 10w- 40w . The Hard to shift issue seems better than before. Soon as i get the new clutch cable, we will see if it gets better.
                        Iwill try to take a long ride tommorrow.

Comment

Just got my new clutch cable today . installing it is sort of difficult. i have the adj. screwed all the way in in the lever.
                          Now how do do get the little spring pulled back at the same time thread the adjusting screw on the case?
                          Can you stuff the spring thats on the cable through the slotted threads on the case? man its tight!

Comment

Don't hook up the bar end until last.

Comment

I finally got it. it some snaped in . adj. to factory specs, shifts good, i like it.

Comment

Working...
                              X