Weeping half moons not crying anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weeping half moons not crying anymore

Well, a small smear of ultra black gasket stuff seemed to do the trick on my half moons. No weeping so far. I did order a new set for next round though (or if these suddenly go bad).

I did notice my tach cable going in to the valve cover drips a little. It's brand new. I snugged it down a little more but I don't want to strip it. Is there an o-ring on those things?

Thanks for the help!

Rick

Originally posted by ryonker View Post
    Well, a small smear of ultra black gasket stuff seemed to do the trick on my half moons. No weeping so far. I did order a new set for next round though (or if these suddenly go bad).

I did notice my tach cable going in to the valve cover drips a little. It's brand new. I snugged it down a little more but I don't want to strip it. Is there an o-ring on those things?

Thanks for the help!

Rick
    Yeah there's an o-ring. If it's like mine, it seals on the diameter instead of seating, so tightening it shouldn't be much help. There's also a seal for the gear shaft. Both get old and need replaced. Sometimes the shaft seal wears a groove in the gear shaft, so that might need replaced too, if you have high mileage.

bwrigner has a tutorial here
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Looks like you can do this without removing the valve cover. That would be nice.

Thanks, I will check out my o-rings.

Rick

Comment

I took off the tach cable and there is actually no O-ring on the cable itself. It looks like the O-ring is inside a housing this is held on by a small screw. The O-ring looks bad, but I need to remove the housing and check it out. This is a 79 GS 750 so pretty close to bwingers tutorial.

I may try and put a little teflon tape on the threeds and see if that helps while I wait for an O-ring.

Thanks!

Rick

Comment

Mine's leaking too but I haven't gotten around to replacing it yet. I'm looking forward to finding out how you fix it and where you buy the parts from.
          Willie in TN
          Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
          '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
          '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
          '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

I wrapped a little teflon tape on the threads and no more leak. At least not yet. I did order the o-rings for down the road when I have time to change them.

Comment

Originally posted by willie View Post
              Mine's leaking too but I haven't gotten around to replacing it yet. I'm looking forward to finding out how you fix it and where you buy the parts from.
              Willie in TN
              Hi Mr. willie,

Mr. bwringer's already done all of the thinking for us. Note that your bike may require different part numbers. It's an easy half hour job. Check the vendor list on my site for our favorites.

Click here for Mr. bwringer's tach cable seal repair guide.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

This is a great tutorial. I already ordered all the parts based on this writing. Mine are teh same as his 850.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                X