GS450GA oil leak from piece attached at the back of the cylnder head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450GA oil leak from piece attached at the back of the cylnder head

Please bear with me as I'm new to the world of bikes.

I noticed a few drops of oil on top of the starter motor cover. Further inspection revealed the leak occurring from a part that attaches to the cylinder head right below the below the carbs. I searched the schematics for what this part is called but I couldn't find it.

It's leaking around this cylindrical piece that has a knob on the end. A spring surrounds the cylindrical piece so when you turn the knob the spring returns it to it's original position.

I've probably just butchered the description.

What is that piece, and what is its function? Is this a sign of serious trouble. It runs/rides fine. Any thing I need to know about repairing?

Thanks in advance.

Cam chain tensioner. Most likely just needs a new gasket. 3 bucks at any online parts house.

Comment

Are you referring the gasket where the tensioner attaches to the cylinder head? If so it's not leaking there. It's leaking where the "twisty thing" attaches to the piece that attaches to the cylinder head.

Ok now that I know what I looking for I found the schematic. It looks like I might need a 65 cent o-ring. Sounds simple enough. Do you think it's something a novice can attempt or should I find someone who knows what they are doing to work on it.

Now that I look further there is an $1.57 oil seal. I bet that's the problem.

Do you think this can be repaired without taking the whole tensioner off the bike?
      Last edited by Guest; 07-03-2008, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Shouldn't be too bad. The tricky part is probably putting it back in correctly, never done it personally.

Comment

Originally posted by KamakaziDude View Post
          Are you referring the gasket where the tensioner attaches to the cylinder head? If so it's not leaking there. It's leaking where the "twisty thing" attaches to the piece that attaches to the cylinder head.

Ok now that I know what I looking for I found the schematic. It looks like I might need a 65 cent o-ring. Sounds simple enough. Do you think it's something a novice can attempt or should I find someone who knows what they are doing to work on it.

Now that I look further there is an $1.57 oil seal. I bet that's the problem.

Do you think this can be repaired without taking the whole tensioner off the bike?
          Take the tensioner off and take off the valve cover off too so you can watch the cam timing and make sure the cams don't jump a tooth on the chain.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Kamikaze, & all responders in this thread ;

Hello

Just wanted to say thanks Kamikaze for starting this thread. I'm new to bikes too (1 month, with a '82 GS400E TSCC - have been DELIGHTED!).
            My bike lets a drop of oil down onto the starter cover once in a while too - sounds like exactly the same issue. I've just been wiping it off when it happens. I was waiting until winter to address the issue in hopes of not screwing something up during rideable weather - with this thread, now I have some hints ! )
            Once again, I'm thinking, what a great bike, what a great website here !
            Thanks Thanks Thanks

Comment

Instructions, part numbers, etc. for rebuilding the cam chain tensioner:

The oil seal is generally the part that's leaking.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                Instructions, part numbers, etc. for rebuilding the cam chain tensioner:

The oil seal is generally the part that's leaking.
                This is sweet! Step by step instructions with clear pics! Looks so simple a caveman could do it.

Comment

Working...
                X