Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gas continues to flow thru petcock in ON and RESERVE position, even when bike is off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas continues to flow thru petcock in ON and RESERVE position, even when bike is off

I just took my petcock apart, cleaned it up, put it back together, but now it is like it is in the prime position no matter what position it is in. Gas keeps on flowing thru the petcock in the ON and RESERVE position even when the bike is off and no vacuum is being created. So now I can't shut the fuel off when the bike is parked, or have gas flow from a vacuum. It didn't do this before I took it apart, so I must have put it back together wrong, or torn a gasket or something but am not sure. Any ideas?

Either or, not back together right, or bad/torn diaphragm.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
      Either or, not back together right, or bad/torn diaphragm.
      Shouldn't it shut off, regardless of the diaphragm's condition? In mine, there was a seal on the end of a pin, which was spring-loaded to shut off the fuel. If that seal and spring are there and good, then it shouldn't flow. If the diaphragm is bad, that would make it not flow, or allow fuel into the vacuum side (rich fouled #2 plug) if it is intact enough to open the petcock.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
        Shouldn't it shut off, regardless of the diaphragm's condition? In mine, there was a seal on the end of a pin, which was spring-loaded to shut off the fuel. If that seal and spring are there and good, then it shouldn't flow. If the diaphragm is bad, that would make it not flow, or allow fuel into the vacuum side (rich fouled #2 plug) if it is intact enough to open the petcock.
        You could be right, when mine went bad, it flowed all the time, but I didn't tear it down, just replaced it. I just rattled off a quick answer. Bottom line, it's buggered in some fashion, make sure it's together right.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
          You could be right, when mine went bad, it flowed all the time, but I didn't tear it down, just replaced it. I just rattled off a quick answer. Bottom line, it's buggered in some fashion, make sure it's together right.
          Yeah, definitely somethin' wrong.
          Dogma
          --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

New petcock

Several times I've read in these threads about replacing a petcock with a new one. I've seen posts with references to places to buy them and when I go there, there are no such things shown as available. WHERE does one get a new vacuum-operated petcock for a GS850G or a GS1100G?

-- Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Lloyd View Post
              Several times I've read in these threads about replacing a petcock with a new one. I've seen posts with references to places to buy them and when I go there, there are no such things shown as available. WHERE does one get a new vacuum-operated petcock for a GS850G or a GS1100G?

-- Bill
              What year?
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

i just ordered one for my 81 550t from the local suzuki dealer, pn 44300-45372 so they are available

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Lloyd View Post

-- Bill
                  I've ordered new ones for two different 850 years now from Z1Enterprises. IIRC, I had to search on petcock, instead of looking for the specific model first.

Like so.
                  Dogma
                  --

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

There is the flat rod, for want of a better term, with a loop of spring built into on the diaphram side of the petcock that pushes on the diaphram in the prime position to allow fuel to flow. You likely have it extended too far causing it to push on the diaphram at all times. Try adjusting the length of it to make it flow only in the prime position. If you make it too short you won't have a prime function, too long and it will always be on prime.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                      There is the flat rod, for want of a better term, with a loop of spring built into on the diaphram side of the petcock that pushes on the diaphram in the prime position to allow fuel to flow. You likely have it extended too far causing it to push on the diaphram at all times. Try adjusting the length of it to make it flow only in the prime position. If you make it too short you won't have a prime function, too long and it will always be on prime.
                      If you have this type of petcock through it in the trash and get a universal one from Z1enterprises.com about $45 the repair kits sell for almost $30 so why take the chance

Comment

petcock problem

I know that I have had the same problem with mine, even though it's a 97. I took it apart and cleaned it and the same thing continued. Went ahead and bit the bullet and ordered a new one. Everything is fine. Sleeping better at night now. Just a suggestion.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                        X