Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oversized crank/rod bearings for motorcycle engines.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oversized crank/rod bearings for motorcycle engines.

Does anyone even offer these?

I have no idea what's knocking in my engine, but I don't want to rip it apart if I cannot even get the parts I might need.

I think the crank is actually available, but it's $650...

Crank grinding, and new bearings, shouldn't be much over $200.

Engine is 1989 Katana 750.

If you have the crank repaired, have them put it back to the original specs the journals were & put stock bearings back in it. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
      If you have the crank repaired, have them put it back to the original specs the journals were & put stock bearings back in it. Ray.
      What do they do, weld the journals?

I guess that would be the way to go!

Comment

Why don't you try to figure out what's knocking in your engine before you tear everything apart. That's the old 'putting the cart before the horse'.

You can use the dowel test to see if it's a rod bearing. That consists of removing plugs and rotating the piston just past dead center. Then take a wood dowel and push down on the piston. If it moves, you probably have a bad bearing.

If this doesn't reveal the culprit, you can take the oil pan off and literally push/pull on the crank to see if there's any play in the mains. You can recheck the rod bearings while you're at it for any play.

If everything is tight, you may want to look somewhere else.

Comment

Actually, I'm now debating if I should even look at it at all. I might be able to pick up a used 2001 Katana engine with only 8,000 miles on it. If I can get that engine at my door for only $500 or so, it wont make ANY sense to even touch my old engine.

A 12 year difference, but look at this picture. I bet it will bolt right up.

Comment

YES, it IS a bolt in! And $500.00 at your door is a GREAT price! If you DO swap motors I would like FIRST shot at the head & cams on your current motor please. Thanks, Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
              YES, it IS a bolt in! And $500.00 at your door is a GREAT price! If you DO swap motors I would like FIRST shot at the head & cams on your current motor please. Thanks, Ray.
              Will let you know. Thanks!

Comment

If you decide to fix the crank....
                Crank Work
                Speed Merchant
                http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Working...
                X