oh $&!%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh $&!%

I was removing my exhaust pipes on my 450gs ... I got 3 of the 4 bolts out cleanly ... the 4th; however, broke on me ... I now have a broken stub in my cylinder. The broken shaft is completely flush with the cylinder ... nothing sticks out. PLEASE, I hope someone has experienced this and has a fix to help me get this out...

I thoroughly sprayed with Liquid Wrench in hopes to avoid this ... ARG!!!

Regards,
    dubs

Don't worry, we all have oh **** moments. I had mine tonight. I was moving my bike into the garage after working on it on the concrete slab in the back yard for a few, and it felt like it didn't have any power, didn't want to idle right, and kept dying. So I started it up again, and rode it up and down the street trying to figure out what was wrong when I looked down and saw a boot missing from a spark plug. Don't work on your bike when your tired.

Comment

Reminds me of when I was driving home and I was getting really bummed about having a hard time accelerating...when I realized my right foot was resting firmly on the brake.

Good luck!

Rick

Comment

I'm assuming the header is off, but the bolt is still stuck in the head? Now that the pressure from the header bracket is off, is it loose at all? I'm assuming it's frozen into place....so the answer would likely be "no".

Instead of Liquid Wrench, try spraying it with some PB Blaster. You can get it at any automotive store. It'll help break up any rust that might be on the bolt.

How much of it is sticking out of the head? Enough to get anything on it?

Comment

could always take a small drill bit, drill it out and screw a screw into it.

Comment

Check the ''In The Garage Section''.
            Problems are just opportunities to do well. Have fun!!
            McLoud
            '79 GS850
            `98 GSF1200 Bandit
            sigpic
            http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...php?groupid=13

Comment

I have had several of these ooops. I have been successful every single time using a left handed drill bit and a screw extractor. If you have access to snap on or matco tools get one from them. If not try craftsman, I've found the way over priced snap-on set is the best and the strongest.
              The bolts shouldn't be that strong, so you may want to try the craftsman. Most of the time I will start to drill and the bolt will walk it's way out! If not the screw extractor should pull it out.

Comment

I had 3 of the 8 on my 84 Kat break off in the head. Nothing but nothing would dislodge them (they're so convenient to get to, BTW) so I ended up drilling them out and heli-coiling them. PITA. Ammonia will attack the aluminum surrounding the bolt. Try a bit of ammonia and tapping the bolt to get the ammonia into the threads. Don't use a lot, though.

This has worked in the past for me on steel bicycle frames with aluminum seatposts siezed up.

Comment

Thanks fellas, I'll let you know the result ... I'll attempt to drill it out a bit and go pick up a retractor set. However, I'm not even sure I can get at it with a drill ... the frame and bolt placement are really convenient ;-).

The pipes and bracket are completely off, and the broken stub that remains is flush with the head ... so I can't grab onto it at all.

regards,
                  dubs

Comment

Don't feel too bad.

Took my bike to the local engineers with one snapped head and one chewed head of the screws that hold the carb rubbers on.

There was enough on the snapped head screw to put a nut in the thread and weld it in place to remove. These guy's are used to doing this sort of work hence why I went there.

Nut welded on, very hot, spanner applied and they tried to turn it. Screw snapped off flush!!! There the experts.

Do you have a compressor or run air tools??? Go and get yourself a 90 degree small air drill that will get you in to drill it. If the bolts snapped duw to time I wouldn't go down the extractor route as you may have more problems.

If you don't feel comfortable (don't be a 'cocky so and so on this) it way be best to remove the cylinder head and take it down to an engineer to drill and tap it out and save any hassles.

Suzuki mad
                    Last edited by Guest; 07-04-2008, 02:24 PM. Reason: my spelling is S**T!

Comment

I have two snapped off (were when I bought it). Attacking them Monday night. Header has never been off, so not sure, but look to be broken flush or below. I'm gonna try a reverse drill bit, and have a heli coil already in hand in case that doesn't work.

Comment

Get the biggest extrator that will fit into the biggest hole you can drill into the bolt fragment. Pound the extractor in with a hammer and turn it. Since these bolts are virtually 'heat treated' into place, even this may not work. The only other option is to keep drilling until the sides of the bolt are very thin, then chisel at the remains of the bolt until it collapes. If you screw up the threads, you can heli-coil.
                        Last edited by Guest; 07-04-2008, 08:38 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Left handed dril bits work ok. Big box stores don't have them.

I broke an extractor in a stripped bolt last week, very frustrating!!

Yesterday I had some success with hammering a broken bolt so the broken piece was flat, then chiseled a deep slot into it and freed it with a flat head screw driver. Got lucky I think...

Comment

Had a 650 yamme and replaced the clutch and all went well .Was happy with a little work that I could do the change button it up and took it for a test run when I got back saw the 1 or 2 quarts of oil that was to be used before the startup still in the bottels on the curb .LOL bet the mains were bluer then before the clutch work.

Comment

You cant make this stuff up!

so ... I drilled out the bolt and started in with the retractor ... which ALSO BROKE ... now I have a broken bolt and broken retractor in the head!!! Anyone have any ideas ... please?

Regards,
                              dubs

Comment

Working...
                              X