4 into 2 Headers for '83 GS750ES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 into 2 Headers for '83 GS750ES

Okay, everybody loves 4-1... I don't. I love 4-2.. I think it looks so cool! But try finding a replacement... So, I have a couple of questions:

1) Can I get my original 4-2 headers re-finished with a ceramic coating? Then, what mufflers will fit. I'm thinking of getting rid of the stock mufflers.

2) Replacement 4-2 headers. I can find 4-1.. But 4-2 seems to be a bit harder...

I doubt seriously you'll find a 4 into 2 for your bike. Even new there was only one or two available for these bikes. As for slip-ons, you could do it but with the seam that's in the stock exhaust where they would attach it will look cobbled together. You might find something meant for an early GSXR that will fit.

Comment

<a

this is for the 83 750e/es stock was 2-1 on both sides is that what you want? 4-2 sounds like a back pressure night mare in my opinion.

Comment

4 into 2 exhaust turns into 2 into 1...

You're completely right. I thought it was 4-2 for sure... I want 2-1 for sure.. I want exhaust on each side...

Any suggestions?

Originally posted by ohgoodtimes View Post
        <a

this is for the 83 750e/es stock was 2-1 on both sides is that what you want? 4-2 sounds like a back pressure night mare in my opinion.

Comment

Do you currently have a stock exhaust for it in decent shape? As far as I know (perusing through the 1986 Dennis Kirk catalog), the only aftermarket exhausts for this model were four into ones (or four into two into ones) made by Yoshimura, Kerker, MAC, and Vance & Hines.
          sigpic

SUZUKI:
          1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
          HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
          KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
          YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Yes, they are in 'decent' shape. I wouldn't even mind to keep using them, if I could re-finish them... I mean, I could I finish the headers in a ceramic coating? Could I paint/re-finish the exhaust so that they don't look re-finished? Can someone shoot me some examples of exhaust that will fit on the stock headers?

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
            Do you currently have a stock exhaust for it in decent shape? As far as I know (perusing through the 1986 Dennis Kirk catalog), the only aftermarket exhausts for this model were four into ones (or four into two into ones) made by Yoshimura, Kerker, MAC, and Vance & Hines.

Comment

I've got Hayabusa cans mated up to the stock header pipes on my GS750EF, see if you like the look. You can click on link where it says "my baby" at the bottom of this message to see some pics from when I'd just gotten 'er on the road.

/\/\ac

Comment

Originally posted by ricksgs750es View Post
                ...Can I get my original 4-2 headers re-finished with a ceramic coating? Then, what mufflers will fit. I'm thinking of getting rid of the stock mufflers.
                There's a guy here in the Bay Area who quoted me a black ceramic coating with a 60% gloss finish on my stock pipes, mufflers included. He wanted $265. A good price in my opinion. Far less than trying to find a new set.

Where are you located?

Comment

That DOES sound like a great deal! I live in South San Francisco. Like 45 minutes away from you dude.. Give me his contact info... THANKS!

Originally posted by Tom MLC View Post
                  There's a guy here in the Bay Area who quoted me a black ceramic coating with a 60% gloss finish on my stock pipes, mufflers included. He wanted $265. A good price in my opinion. Far less than trying to find a new set.

Where are you located?

Comment

You're completely right. I thought it was 4-2 for sure... I want 2-1 for sure.. I want exhaust on each side...

Any suggestions?
                    It is 4-2. 2-1 is a two cylinder engine with one muffler.

As for suggestions, if your stock headers are OK, then I would use them and add a couple of aftermarket cans or OEM sportbike cans from fleabay. You should be able to find some 2007+ GSXR1000 cans for not too much money or some Busa cans, maybe even some Ducati cans.

Mark
                    Last edited by Guest; 07-07-2008, 01:57 PM.

Comment

We'll chat for sure :-D

Originally posted by Mark M View Post
                      It is 4-2. 2-1 is a two cylinder engine with one muffler.

As for suggestions, if your stock headers are OK, then I would use them and add a couple of aftermarket cans or OEM sportbike cans from fleabay. You should be able to find some 2007+ GSXR1000 cans for not too much money or some Busa cans, maybe even some Ducati cans.

Mark

Comment

That DOES sound like a great deal! I live in South San Francisco. Like 45 minutes away from you dude.. Give me his contact info... THANKS!
                        Accessories Plus
                        1421D Old Country Road
                        Belmont, CA
                        650-591-2400

Owner's name is Ron

The place is kinda hard to find. When you go there, you'll think this can't be the place. It is.

I hear you're gonna make the rally? I'm sending you a PM.

Comment

We'll chat for sure :-D
                          I just looked at Macmatic's 750 and he used Busa cans. They look exactly like the late 90's-early 2000's GSXR cans. They mount with a 3 or 4 bolt flange (depending on the year) and are all over fleabay. I know you can get those cheap, they flow lots of air and are pretty quiet. The biggest advantage the Busa cans have is they came stock with a dual can set up, so there is a LH and RH can with the bracket set up for that side. They would be easier to mount that way...

One example from fleabay:

Mark

Comment

Yes you can!

There are lots of options for the refinishing of your pipes. "Eastwood" sells lots of different heat and ceramic bake on coatings that you can do yourself. Also you could try the yellow pages for chrome and powder coat services, they also can refinish your factory pipes. I built and coated my own header for my GS850G from mild steel an mandrel bends from a local muffler shop. I used "eastwood" products to it. The finish turned out great and I spend less than a 100 bucks total. Good luck with your project...

Comment

You will need to keep your headers, you can get replacement megaphones BUT they will be chrome. I have looked high and low for black megaphones and can only come up with chrome ones.
                              There is a bake on ceramic coating that you can use to make them black, search this site for ceramic coating and you will get a few good links.

Comment

Working...
                              X