1150 starter clutch Play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1150 starter clutch Play?

I am getting a motor knock down low (Crank area) in my stock 84 1150 but only at idle. Soon as I come off Idle it sounds fine. Pulled the alternator cover and found that the starter clutch moves about 3/16 off an inch in and out on the shaft. Someone has had it off before (evidenced by the scars on the rotor). I wonder if a washer was left off or the bolts on the starer clutch got loose. I am Having trouble breaking the rotor nut loose by hand (used strap wrench and 22mm socket). But before I get an impact gun, I figured I would check with you guys. Is the starter clutch supposed to have any play on the shaft? If not, I will do my darndest get that nut off and remove the play ( and hopefully my motor knock).
    Thanks
    Drew

It sounds like the starter clutch might have been re-installed WITHOUT the washer that goes between it & the crank bearing. I also doubt that is where the noise is coming from. I would check the clutch hub. Ray.

Comment

Thanks Ray. Will check it.

Comment

getting closer

Thought this may help the next guy.
        I checked my clutch as you advised and it appears to be fine. The knocking, rattling sounds (which is awful) seems to be coming from the starter clutch area. I bought the rotor puller (thanks for the part number guys) and used it to pull the rotor assembly. By the way this is a bear to do. I had to use an impact gun very carefully on the puller bolt, but she broke free nicely. (Scary though)
        Sure enough I heard parts falling in the starter clutch as it came free.
        It had two sheared bolts and the third was very loose and about to shear. The whole starter clutch assembly was wobbling badly on the rotor. I believe I have found my Knock.
        Ordered new springs, pins, rollers, and bolts. Now I wait for the mailman.

By the way people are swearing this knock is the crank and that I should sell the bike for parts (it sounds that bad). We will see.
        I will update you when I get it together, this is the second bike I have had with starter clutch issues. They are actually not that bad to fix if you have the neccesary tools. I had to invest in some or I would never have gotten to the starter clutch.
        -26 gallon compressor $150 ( I stole it on Craigslist)
        -600 ft lb impact gun $275 ( got robbed at sears, but it is powerful)
        - Rotor puller $20

Thanks for all the help. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

Good job! Get new bolts from SUZUKI, NOT some hardware store, & inspect and replace,as neccessary, the rollers, pins, & springs in the starter clutch if damaged. Is the bronze washer still there between the starter clutch gear & the crank? It's a good thing the clutch is ok because on bikes that have been hammered it is usually the first part to show it. Check the inside of the rotor taper for scarring & if need be, use a Dremel or similar tool with 180 grit or finer paper to smooth them out. Check the taper on the crank for same. Do ONLY enough to remove high spots or you can kill the taper so the rotor wont seat properly. Good luck & let me know if it is a parts bike! LOL!! Ray.

Comment

Better safe than sorry on this one.

You might want to call Flatout to confirm; on my GS1100ED (83) I just replaced teh entire starter clucth assy (including barrel,springs and pistons) I think it is all included for the price below. Part below is teh 84 GS1150 part. With the hassle to get it off, I just did not want to screw around.

CLUTCH SET, STA
            12600-49865 (replaces 12600-49863) 1$95.10

Posplayr

Comment

I had two bolts break on my 83 1100 and also thought that it was the crank. I'm betting you found your noise. Good luck.

Comment

Yep, it was the starter clutch

Just installed the new parts in my starter clutch and put it back on the bike. Purrs like a kitten, NO MORE KNOCK. Wow does this feel good.
                Now to figure out my shifting problem. I will start a new thread for it though. Thanks for all the help!!!

Comment

Working...
                X