Dumber still: confused about dyna coils and spark plug order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dumber still: confused about dyna coils and spark plug order

Nessism, don't know if you are still there? Anyway, here's the deal. I am getting ready to fire up the ride after many months of rebuild. Using Dyna coils for the first time. When I removed the old stock coils (82 GS 1100), I numbered everything so I could do "reverse engineering" upon re-assembly. The wires in the stock coils are side by side, the dyna coil output towers (a short one and a longer one) are front to back when mounted- do you know what I mean? This throws off my numbering scheme, I think. I do know which wires are positive and negative to the coils on each side (L&R), but I don't know which tower should be going to which plug. The sparse info that came with the coils is not much help. Obviously, I am afraid of mis-wiring and pooching something! Can anyone help a newb at rebuilding who feels over his head?

Thanks again!

Originally posted by stevepoole1 View Post
    I do know which wires are positive and negative to the coils on each side (L&R), but I don't know which tower should be going to which plug.
    It doesn't matter if you swap 1 & 4 or 2 & 3--they both fire at the same time every revolution of the crank--once at the end of the compression stroke, once at the end of the exhaust stroke. It's the wasted spark system used on almost every inline 4 motorcycle, and it saves on a lot of parts.

Comment

The wires in the stock coils are side by side, the dyna coil output towers (a short one and a longer one) are front to back when mounted- do you know what I mean? This throws off my numbering scheme, I think. I do know which wires are positive and negative to the coils on each side (L&R), but I don't know which tower should be going to which plug.
      One coil is for 1 & 4 and the other for 2 & 3. I was under the impression it did not matter which spark plug cable post you used because 1 & 4 fire simulataneously and 2 & 3 do as well. As long as you know which coil is 1 & 4 and which is 2 & 3 your ok!

I was just messing with my Dyna S ignition all weekend and the the test I kept running was when you turn the rotor so the magnet is facing one of the coils, does the 1 & 4 or 2 & 3 coil fire the test lamp correctly? In my case it was not until I repaired some wiring...

Comment

Thank You

Thank You, Ness - that makes sense. This stuff is intimidating at first, but I am getting there with the help of good folks like you!
        sp

Comment

Thank You, Ness - that makes sense. This stuff is intimidating at first, but I am getting there with the help of good folks like you!
          sp
          Can't take credit for answering your question this time.
          Other guys have it covered though.

Hook up your test light (plug it into either the white or black wire leading into the coils). When you turn the engine over the light should illuminate at the appropriate time. Just keep track of the 1-4 pair and the 2-3. 1-4 signal generator is toward the rear of the bike. Just trace all the wires and you will be ok. When timing the Dyna S on my 550 the screw was near the end of the slot on the adjustment plate. Other people have reported similar experiences. Not sure about your bike of course, but don't be surprised it the timing works out this way.

Good luck.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
          X