wiring help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wiring help needed

OK, so I am in the process of trying to bring this GS1100GK back to life. I have never ridin this bike and know very little about it. I was told by the previouse owner that it was making a funny noise and then stopped, started one more time and stopped again and now hasn't run for 15 months. He said a mechanic told Him starter clutch.

I have pulled the tank and seat and found on the right side a wiring connector that had a melt down. It was so deformed that I had to just chizzle the wires free. Now I have a handful of wires and am not sure what goes were. I did connect the orange-white strip ones together (coils) and the yellow-green strip together. If anyone can help that would be great, also there was this connector I found and have no idea were it goes. thanks

your best bet is to get a wiring diagram out of a manual and trace them from there....

you will want to at least wrap them individually so they dont make contact with each other also...

Comment

Hi Mr. lee1rbc,

There is a color wiring diagram for the 1100G on my website (contributed by a generous GSR member). Hopefully it will help.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Ok, I think I got it. orange/green to grey. white/green to white/red. yellow/white to orange/red. Thanks, also i think the other connecter is for the stereo.

I am starting to think that starter clutch is not the main problem. Just tried to turn the bike over to see what the starter clutch does and the bike just makes a click. maybe bad starter.

Comment

Originally posted by lee1rbc View Post
          Ok, I think I got it. orange/green to grey. white/green to white/red. yellow/white to orange/red. Thanks, also i think the other connecter is for the stereo.

I am starting to think that starter clutch is not the main problem. Just tried to turn the bike over to see what the starter clutch does and the bike just makes a click. maybe bad starter.
          It may just be the brushes on the starter motor. But before I pulled the starter, I would check my grounds to make sure that you have a good complete circuit back to the negative battery post.

Hap

Comment

Lee,

Sounds like you have gotten beyound the wiring probelm, but I have just emailed you a color schematic (although for an 82 GK).

You didnt say what method you were using to reconnect the wires. My experince has been that after a connector has a melt down like that, you can assume the connections have been hot for repeated occassions, and sometimes then the wire conductors get brittle. And if the wire conductors are brittle, then crimp on connectors are not relable. I found using wire nuts to last longer if the wire conductors are brittle.

You say you have an 84 Gk, but it has a black engine. I would have thought that was an 83.

About the starter. Yah, like other said, before you go to effort to remove the starter, first try jumpering power directly to the starter to elimiante other possible causes of the sysmptoms you describe.
            Last edited by Redman; 07-05-2008, 06:16 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Thanks guys for the help, You know it's more then just the bike, its people You meet while riding that bike. Or in my case working on that bike lol.

I just checked if bypassing the solenoid would work, just the same "click" and then "click" when I let off the start button. Next step is to bypass everything and run power directly to the starter like You guys say. I hope its just a bad wire. keep You posted.

Comment

OK, wires are good, I think I found the problem. NASTY burnt smell when opened.

Comment

nasty

i think you'll find somethings wrong with that starter
                  GS850GT

Comment

I have the same wiring problem on my GS650 IDK where the wires go at all!
                    I wish I knew wiring diagrams better so it didn't seem like gibberish. i'm gonna have to stare at them more.

Comment

Working...
                    X