Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Performance Cams

Hello,
    I've been restoring a 78 GS1000E and am currently rebuilding the engine. The head has been polished and had larger springs installed, as well as new valve guides, stainless steel valves, and new valve seals. All work was done by Russell's Performance machine Shop in Hampton GA, right accross from the Atlanta Motor Speedway! I am having them bore out the cylinders and install a Wiesco 1100cc piston kit. I have also a real clean set of 29mm Smoothbores to install. My question is about Cams. What would be the best cams to install with this setup without getting to crazy and sacerficing reliability...and where can I find them? I plan on riding this bike quite a bit (especially with current gas prices) and want to get the best match. Thanks for any response!

Well, Im building up almost the same engine as you to put in my 750. Its a 79 GS1000. Wiseco 1085, lighty ported head. Ape valve springs. I have a set of web cams 110 grind Im putting in. The are a decent amount bigger from looking at them. I believe lift is about .395. I also have a set of 29mm smoothbores that will be going in. I completely dissasembled everything and am resealing the entire motor. Crank is going to be sent out next, Im beefing up the clutch also.

I dont really know what to expect. But it should be a powerhouse compared to my 750.
    The cams I got are the biggest before they require shim under buckets and modifications to the head. They also have a set slightly below this stage that are a bit more mellow.

I think there site is webcamshafts.com

Comment

Cool! Yeah that was a tough decision for me..1085 or 1100cc. I decided with the 1100 simply because I am 200+ lbs. and wanted to make sure it would pull me the way I wanted it to! Mine too is completly disassembled. I had the frame powder coated black...the engine and wheels glass bead blasted, and the case covers all buffed out. Its been a major project. If I ever get it done it should be quite the head turner! Thanks for the info...I will try that site and see what I can find.

Comment

You said you are sending the crank out...Are you having it welded? I have heard this makes the engine bullet proof, but does'nt it mean you loose bottom end and have to rev higher?

Comment

Well, the machine shop is going to tear down the entire crank and inspect all the parts, possibly replace rod bearings, reassemble, true/balance, than weld it. I cant see any power loss here.

Comment

when you get a crank welded it does nothing to the performance. all it is for is holding it in alignment. these bikes have cranks composed if many pieces to facilitate installation of the roller bearings at the mains and rods. all these pieces are pressed back together round pin in round hole. from the factory it relies purely on friction to hold this alignment. when you get a crank welded all they do is put a couple tack welds at each pressed connection to keep it from twisting.

Comment

That makes sense...learning as I go! Something else I probably need to look into..since I am going through the expense of everything else.

Comment

With webs 110 grind you will lose some low end torque. On my bike I wanted more lift without adding much duration and web cam came up with there 151i grind. Very happy with how it runs, plenty of low end. Dan

Comment

Working...
                X