Removing GS650 motor? any tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing GS650 motor? any tips?

I sold my 82 GS650 "shafty" on ebay but the guy only needs the motor/carbs so Im going to remove them and ebay everything else

I have the bike down to almost nothing other then front/rear wheel, front forks, brakes, shaft,

but now that its time to remove the motor.... hmmm well its not going to be as easy as the last bike I removed the engine from DR100 =)

Im sure having a cherry picker would be the best way but since I don't have one do you guys have any tips? its crossed my mind to put a block/jack under the motor and haxsaw the frame so I can just drop the motor out the bottom

Im hoping with a 2nd person we could just lift it out

also what about the shaft anything I need to watch out for when I remove it?

enough wires? hehehe

Thanks

Jeff

I assume you are doing this by yourself. Remove the carbs and remove the valve cover to gain needed clearance. Just lay the bike on its side, and lift the frame off of the engine.

Comment

As above remove the valve cover, and carbs.
      Remove all engine motormount bolts and brackets.
      The motor has to come out on the right side, with two guys, one on each side, lift it up, tilt it back, and out to the right and rest the centre of the oil pan on the right frame cradle. Steady the motor, have the guy that was on the left come around to the right. One lift the motor from the front and one from the back and take her right out.

Laying it on its side also works, when abrasions and scuffs are not a concern.

Andre

Comment

Never crossed my mind to lay it on its side great tip!

what about removing the carbs and airfilter box? when I first got the bike I installed the filter box but now I can't remember how the hell I did it! I think I might have removed the carbs from the intake runners so I had more room but....ahhhh I can't remember

Jeff

Comment

Jeffie,

I just did this on my 650 with Don Lobacz you can use a regular car jack with a two by four on it take the exauhst loose and off first the 2x4 should be positioned between the jack and the oil pan this takes the weight off so you can get all the motor mount bolts out. Also take the valve cover off this will give you enough clearance to have tow guys weasle the motor out of the frame take great care to detatch all wires and the like before you go to lifting. Any other questions contact me or Don. Don will likely see your post given time and respond to it as well he will add anything I have forgotten to tell you and correct anything I may have stated improperly. Good luck.

Matt Boruff

P.S. You should post these types of questions in the technical forum in the future, If the site monitor sees this post he may strike it since it is in the general forum. I realize you may not have known this just remember for future technical questions. This rule is in place to keep the site organized. Technical questions are kept in the data base longer so we can access technical questions down the line and see if our question has already been asked and then we can read those posts and get an answer without posting redundantly.

Comment

Thank goodness that's only a shafty.

Comment

sorry I know better then to post it on the anything goes board but it never crossed my mind

thanks for all the help its being picked up I hope tomorrow =)

sun just started to poke out so its time for a quick ride before dinner

Thanks

Jeff

Comment

Disconnect the 4 bolts at the front of the shaft drive (under the big rubber boot) early. To keep the shaft from turning when breaking the bolts loose, wedge something between the rear brake pedal and the footpeg (or have someone put pressure on it). This is better than putting it in gear because the forces are not absorbed by the gears, shift forks and clutch basket.

Drain the oil before laying the motor on it's side.

Comment

Working...
                X