Anyone know if GSX1100G wheels...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know if GSX1100G wheels...

Will mount up to a GS G model? I heard that they used the same final drive, but dont know if that is true or not? Anyone have an idea?

so, there was a gsx1100g?

never knew that...
    GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
      never knew that...
      Yup. Looks like this. Damn sexah

Comment

ah, of course... the NEXT generation

i though you were referring to a bike from a generation this forum caters for

but that is a damn fine bike
        Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
        Damn sexah
        GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
          i though you were referring to a bike from a generation this forum caters for

but that is a damn fine bike
          It would be damn sweet if those wheels would swap over to my 1100G!

Comment

Ive seen the complete back end on a gs shaftie before but i'm not sure the rear wheel alone will fit

Comment

CK, according to what I have read the GSX1100G uses the Cavalcade drive train. Don't know what that means for interchangeability but You can't have mine!
              sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
              2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

I looked into this using a VX800 as the donor (since I have both a GS850 and a VX800 in my garage, and Scott's GSX1100G visited my garage for a month or so), and no, it wouldn't work. The wheels are much wider, so you'd need the swingarm and front end from the donor bike, and the driveshaft and swingarm are a completely different design.

You'd have to come up with a way of mounting a needle bearing swingarm to the taper bearing GS chassis, somehow overcome the spacing issues (no idea where to begin there) and then find a way to mate a completely different drive flange with the driveshaft.

GSX and VX wheels are the same size (3 inch wide front, 3.5 inch wide rear), although I think the GSX rear wheel might be a wee bit wider. The VX800 takes a 150/70-17 rear, the GSX takes a 160/70-17 rear, and the GS takes a 130/90-17 rear.

With that said, the driven spline joint is the same in both bikes, and the GSX/VX rear wheel does indeed mate right up to a GS850G/1000G/1100G rear end. Suzuki never re-engineers anything until they have to. But the tire and wheel won't clear the GS swingarm -- the GSX/VX rear end moves the driveshaft further to the left to clear. It's also unknown how the rear end gear ratios compare.

With the front wheel, you'd likely get some fender rubbing (the tires are 110/80-18 on the GSX/VX vs. 100/90-19 on the GS), and you'd need to sort out the brake spacing, caliper mounting, and such. Still more straightforward than a rear end swap. It might be possible to transplant the entire front end, but I don't know how the fork tube lengths compare. The VX800 only has a single, barely adequate caliper, so you'd want a GSX front end and brakes to cope with the heavier GS.

A GS shaftie handles surprisingly well with modern shocks, sticky modern tires (Avon RoadRiders or Pirelli Sport Demons), and a bit of attention to the forks.

Trust me, you can ride a GS shaftie well into the realm of serious chassis flex, so there's absolutely zero functional point to a wheel swap.

And it seems like far too much effort and risk for a purely cosmetic swap -- you'd have to do a lot of intricate cutting and high-quality welding of critical, highly stressed parts.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thats what i was looking for fellas! Thanks for your expertise. It would simply have been a cosmetic swap, plus the advantage of a bit wider tire. But it wasnt something i was looking to do due to handling issues, as the old girl handles well enough for my spine...lol

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                    Thats what i was looking for fellas! Thanks for your expertise. It would simply have been a cosmetic swap, plus the advantage of a bit wider tire. But it wasnt something i was looking to do due to handling issues, as the old girl handles well enough for my spine...lol
                    No doubt.
                    The first time I scrapped the footpegs on my 1000G it scared the crap out of me.

Comment

There is no doubt the VX and GSX swing arm wont work, but I think the rim might. I am assuming the VX with a 170-70-17 has a 4 inch rim compared to the 3 inch GS rim. The biggest problem is the inch wider tire. 130-90 = 5 inches. 150-70 = 5.9 inches. Thats pretty close without any mods. I think if You relocate the rear brake caliper brace You've got a shot. I think if its possible it would be a nice upgrade for the 1100, I think a 130-90 is way under sized for 100hp bike. 2 cents

I have attached picture comparing the VX swing arm to a gs swing arm.

Comment

Working...
                      X