@#%&*!?*&%$#@ Clutch Pressure Plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@#%&*!?*&%$#@ Clutch Pressure Plate

Okay Guys, I've screwed it up now. I was putting my clutch back together, had the factory shop manual open to the clutch section, started to torque the clutch spring set bolts to the factory spec (9.5 ft-lbs)...AND STRIPPED OUT THREE OF THEM!!!! :x :x

I need to fix this before the Texas Hill Country Ride at the end of the month. Has any one ever tapped out these threads for a larger bolt or does any one have a clutch hub that will fit a '81 GS1100E that they want to get rid of?

Hap
    Sucks to be me!

Hap,
    You better get that thing fixed by then.
    I did the same thing on my ysr, but I had an extra basket so I just swapped it out. I talked to Dan afterwards and he offered a couple of solutions.1) Fill the bad threads with jb weld,cure and then drill and re-tap.
    I think access to a upright drill press would make your chances of this working greater than doing it by hand. 2) He mentioned a thread repair kit that you supposedly can get from the auto parts store. Two parts with a release agent you put on the bolt then a part you spread on the bolt. Screw it in, let it cure, then back the bolt out and there you have new threads. I haven't been able to find this yet but I've only been to Auto Zone.

Comment

heli-coil it. !!!! there stainless wire thread inserts. and the best ones at that..

Comment

Originally posted by Dandy_D
        Hap,
        You better get that thing fixed by then.
        I did the same thing on my ysr, but I had an extra basket so I just swapped it out. I talked to Dan afterwards and he offered a couple of solutions.1) Fill the bad threads with jb weld,cure and then drill and re-tap.
        I think access to a upright drill press would make your chances of this working greater than doing it by hand. 2) He mentioned a thread repair kit that you supposedly can get from the auto parts store. Two parts with a release agent you put on the bolt then a part you spread on the bolt. Screw it in, let it cure, then back the bolt out and there you have new threads. I haven't been able to find this yet but I've only been to Auto Zone.
        I think I saw that stuff at an Advance Auto Parts store. Don't know how it works, but it looked cool.

Hap, you shouldn't cuss like that, there are ladies present here.

Terry

Comment

Loc-Tite is marketing a new thread repair product now, haven't used it yet though

Comment

hap star sells the inner hub for an 1150 for 45 or 50 bucks --the one with the steel center they are an exact swap
            i have one in my 83. I presume you have the new style inner hub eith the recessed femlae threads and thst uses a spacer under each spring and the pressure plate that is indented. I think i remember it correctly :?
            I sold my original inner and outer basket on ebay a few months ago. Now i would love to have an outer basket as a core to make another HD basket. Good hunting.

Comment

I've tried rebuilding threads with various types of goos and putties and never had any success. Maybe I've been impatient or used the wrong ones...but the threads have never cut cleanly when tapped and the putties have never drilled as cleanly as I would have liked. I'm sure it's possible...but I just don't really trust them.
              I agree with the helicoil suggestion. That way you know it will hold.

S.

Comment

scotty has the right idea get the hub its the right way to go. When is the ride? if you cant find one I can ship you my 1150 parts bike hub and then you can return it when you get yours fixed or replaced. (id let you keep it but with my driving habits an extra clutch assembly is a good idea) .................skip

Comment

Clutch strippage

Hap,

I would definetely heli-coil it. Since you're pressure plate is stripped anyway and now useless, it would be the perfect time to try heli-coils.

I've used them on the exhaust manifolds, case halfs, generator cover, foot pegs. They'll be the strongest threads on your bike. Remember to break off the tang on the end after inserting to desired depth.

I believe 6mm by 1.25 is the size. Well worth the $30-45 for the kit. My local hardware store carries them.
                  Carter Turk
                  GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

I have tried one of those thread repair glue things..did not really work and I would not use it on the clutch.

Helicoil is the best way to go..better than new really.

I will sit in Australia while you go to the rally..(

Comment

Thanks guys for all the help! We can call off the hounds! I pulled everything apart again and found that I had not stripped the threads on the inner hub...the bolts had twisted! Many miles, race clutch springs, and a heavy hand by the owner had finally killed them. Three were weakened to the point that when I was torquing them they twisted and the other three were actually bent slightly. I purchased some new bolts and installed them.

Now for the ironic part...I can't find my oil filler cap so I was not able to ride the bike after I filled it!

Again, thanks for all the advice and offers of equipment loans! It's good to know that you have that kind of support out there.

Hap

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call
                        Thanks guys for all the help! We can call off the hounds! I pulled everything apart again and found that I had not stripped the threads on the inner hub...the bolts had twisted! Many miles, race clutch springs, and a heavy hand by the owner had finally killed them. Three were weakened to the point that when I was torquing them they twisted and the other three were actually bent slightly. I purchased some new bolts and installed them.

Now for the ironic part...I can't find my oil filler cap so I was not able to ride the bike after I filled it!

Again, thanks for all the advice and offers of equipment loans! It's good to know that you have that kind of support out there.
                        I have an extra one if you need it-it has a piece broken off the ear that allows you to open and close it.

Hap

Comment

Hap, where, what type of bolts did you find/use? :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call

it!Now for the ironic part...I can't find my oil filler cap so I was not able to ride the bike after I filled

Hap
                            like it says at the bottom of my post " there are three things that start to go as you get old............................................... .....

Comment

Originally posted by slopoke
                              hap star sells the inner hub for an 1150 for 45 or 50 bucks --the one with the steel center they are an exact swap
                              i have one in my 83. I presume you have the new style inner hub eith the recessed femlae threads and thst uses a spacer under each spring and the pressure plate that is indented. I think i remember it correctly :?
                              I sold my original inner and outer basket on ebay a few months ago. Now i would love to have an outer basket as a core to make another HD basket. Good hunting.
                              I'm going to get a new one. While the one I have turned out okay, the wear on the threads from countless changes has me a little worried. I went to the Star website and they sell them for $62.77. Ron Ayers has them for $51.26. I am going to pull a Skip and basically keep a entire spare clutch assembly on the shelf.

Thanks for the offer of the plug..still haven't found mine but I can get a new one for $3.99. Pure aggravation!

Thanks again to everyone for the help!

Hap

Comment

Working...
                              X