disassembly help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

disassembly help

so i am going to begin stripping down my 79 gs425l to the frame for some paint. does anyone have pointers? is there a manual i should refer to for solid instructions?

Unless you are a pro mechanic (and even then) I wouldn't even THINK about it without at least a Clymers or Haynes, and better yet, and OEM service manual, and even better, all three.

Comment

I just finished taking my 82 GS550M down to the frame myself. I started disconnecting all electrical (labeled everything with masking tape and #'ed) took off front lights, instruments, bar and controls. Hit the brakes,exhaust,batterybox..Took off everthing at the backend lights,fender, wheel, swingarm etc...Kept going until all is left is frame, motor/tranny,forks and wheel. Oh yeah keep her on the centerstand, you can remove the sidestand. I removed the carbs and airbox.(had trouble with the air box). Took the engine out complete with the help of a friend. Then took off the forks and wheel And t,tree. I bought about 100 larger ziploc freezerbags and kept all parts together with their bolt washers nuts etc... and labeled everthing. Take alot of refrence pictures and notes. And like the last poster noted make sure you have at the very least a Clymer.

Comment

blasters

Originally posted by sluggerknuckles View Post
        so i am going to begin stripping down my 79 gs425l to the frame for some paint. does anyone have pointers?
        When you go to the media blasters make sure you have counted how many peices you have.

Tape up the parts you don't want blasted and make sure that any labels that you want reproduced are removed prior to blasting or you will lose them.

After you will find that there will be bits of media inside the fame tubes. Clean them out before paint.

Suzuki mad

Comment

Take a zillion photos as you take it apart.You'll be surprised how many bits you wont be able to get right when it comes to re-assembly.Don't ask how I know this.Cheers,Simon.

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

This is excellent advice! I made the mistake of taking my cafe down to the frame without labeling, bagging or taking any pictures. It took me an extra bit of time and frustration figuring out where some of the little things went. The wiring, as long as its not been molested, is pretty self explanitory, and having a manual is MUCH help. Labeling the wires will help quite a bit, but there are only a few whose colours dont match when you put them back. Bagging, labeling and pics...+1 to all who suggested!

Comment

I used loads of plastic bags (clear food bags for the freezer) and marked each bag with what was in there. What didn't go in the bag had a label. I labeled each connector on the main wiring loom as I removed each peice. If it doesn't need stripping take the whole thing out of the bike in one peice if you can.

The one thing with labels is use an indelible pen so that you don't loose whats written on it.

Its always usefull to do too many digital photo's than not enough. Use any of the on-line fiche companies to help you re-assemble the bike also. Make sure you get loads of the cable routing for reconstruction. I didn't.........

When putting the engine back in the newly painted frame make sure that you use some sort of cover over the newly paint frame tubes to stop damaging the paint work. I used the water pipe insulation which fitted OK.

Suzuki mad
              Last edited by Guest; 07-07-2008, 03:45 AM. Reason: added electrical bit.

Comment

these are all great things to hear! thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki mad View Post
                  I used loads of plastic bags (clear food bags for the freezer) and marked each bag with what was in there. What didn't go in the bag had a label. I labeled each connector on the main wiring loom as I removed each peice. If it doesn't need stripping take the whole thing out of the bike in one peice if you can.

The one thing with labels is use an indelible pen so that you don't loose whats written on it.

Its always usefull to do too many digital photo's than not enough. Use any of the on-line fiche companies to help you re-assemble the bike also. Make sure you get loads of the cable routing for reconstruction. I didn't.........

When putting the engine back in the newly painted frame make sure that you use some sort of cover over the newly paint frame tubes to stop damaging the paint work. I used the water pipe insulation which fitted OK.

Suzuki mad
                  I went to Home Depot and got a roll of bubble wrap for this. Did a decent enough job, i had to go back with a brush and touch a couple of little scratches, but nothing major. Had i been more carefull and not been fighting to get the motor back in, it probably wouldnt have scratched it at all.

Comment

Working...
                  X