shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shocks

can someone tell me how long the shocks are on the 82 1100 GL? i want to lower it an inch or so, and am curious. and does it have to be recommeneded shock or can i just get any shock and put it on there as long as it will bolt up?

You need to make sure any shocks you get don't have a shorter compressed length compared to stock or the fender may crash down on top of the tire.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

LOWER a GL.... whoa....

Comment

you make it sound like thats un heard of, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by aruyle79 View Post
          you make it sound like thats un heard of, lol.
          Ha... just kidding. It's just already the "lowered" version of the bike. Different looks for different folks. I have a regular G and I have modern progressive shocks cranked up like I normally had a 300 pound passenger, because I like that high rear end look.

Comment

well, that, and i am thinking about different shocks, just because i am changing the look of the bike a little bit. its a complete overhaul, lol. its down to frame and engine completly apart right now.

Comment

Theres where I'm headed this winter. Money situation provided it's going down to the frame.

Comment

it turns out, i didn't have a choice, the frame had a few rust spots on it, so it needed to get done, but i wasn't going to break the engine in half, until i drained the oil, and a milky mixture spill out from all covers...

then got it in half, and there is rust in the tranny area, not good.

Comment

I have some rusts spots at the welds, that's my main reason, plus want to pull the engine for a piston kit/new head anyway. A G is only going to be so fast, but I'm gonna take it as far as it will go.

Comment

i am guessing it was left sitting outside in the rain without spark plugs in it....

i pretty much can't wait until next year, cause i don't think this will be done before then end of this year. gonna be a long project.

Comment

Originally posted by aruyle79 View Post
                      i am guessing it was left sitting outside in the rain without spark plugs in it....

i pretty much can't wait until next year, cause i don't think this will be done before then end of this year. gonna be a long project.
                      I know the second owner on mine (the guy I got it from) it was garage kept, run regularly, well maintained the past 6 years. It's the 20 years before that I'm not so sure about.

Comment

well, the previous owner of this one is a member of this site. not sure if it was him that did it or the person before him. but i got my work cut out for me.

Comment

To answer the question, the stock shock length is 330mm (13 inches) eye to eye.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

thank you for the answer.

Comment

Working...
                            X