Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Sync? Still bad idle

Howdy folks,
    just got done cleaning out the carbs thoroughly and reinstalling them. Bike runs pretty much exactly the same as before. Its fires right over with choke on, warms up and when I kick the choke off, it idles at about 2,000+ rpms' and the idles down to where it should be around 1100 rpm. When it hits the 1100 rpm mark, it starts to stumble and die not to mention it has a small misifre. WTF????

I did not synchronize the carbs yet....how is it done, and where can I get a carb sync tool?

Could this be something other than carbs? Didn't do a compression test yet and I know all the cylinders are firing because the pipes get hot!!!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

TIA,
    Al Conforti

What kind of cabs do you have? If you have the manual ones you can synch them pretty good by hand when you have them off the bike. Fully open the throttle with one hand and adjust the slides untill they all are 1 to 1,5 mm above the opening of the venturi.

When I got my bike they were so out of synch the 2 outer ones wouln't even run at idle because there allready was an opening of 2 to 2 mill.

Comment

I don't think I have manual carbs. (im assuming you mean similar to standard automobile carburetor...) If a am correct, I have (2) 2-barrell carbs and they are CV carbs. If you look into the carb from the intake side, there are two black cylinders that are vertical.

I was doing some reading on how to sync carbs elsewhere and have an idea, but where does one hook up the synchronizer to? The one vacuum port used for the petcock already has a "nipple" to accept a vac. hose, but the other 3 vacuum ports have screws covering the ports. Where can I get "nipples" to hook a vacuum line up to them?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
      -Al Conforti

Comment

The 4 mm holes that are used for synchronizing will be found on the intake tube between the carb and the cylinder head. They are usually plugged with a 4 mm Allen screw. The carb stix type synch tool comes with the correct adapter to fit Suzuki. On a 4 carb setup, #3 carb will not be adjustable and is to be used as a base setting to match the other three to.
        The CV carbs have a throttle valve adjustment screw on the top of the rod/linkage that runs left to right across the front of the carbs. When you synch, you will need to remove the fuel tank and block off the vacuum fitting/hose on the carb that normally would be hooked up to the petcock.

If you have a small tank set up for doing synch work, fine, but I just put the bike's gas tank on a stool so the tank is higher than the carbs and hook up a long piece of clear tubing to feed the carbs from the tank.
        If you do this, you will need to set the petcock to prime to get fuel flow.

Earl

Originally posted by granny_rocket
        I don't think I have manual carbs. (im assuming you mean similar to standard automobile carburetor...) If a am correct, I have (2) 2-barrell carbs and they are CV carbs. If you look into the carb from the intake side, there are two black cylinders that are vertical.

I was doing some reading on how to sync carbs elsewhere and have an idea, but where does one hook up the synchronizer to? The one vacuum port used for the petcock already has a "nipple" to accept a vac. hose, but the other 3 vacuum ports have screws covering the ports. Where can I get "nipples" to hook a vacuum line up to them?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
        -Al Conforti
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
        X