• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adjusting mixture screws

I know I should know this by now, but clarification is always good;

On my VM 26 carbs for the 79 GS 750;

Bottom pilot fuel mixture screw---start around 1 turn out

Side air mixture screw --- start around 1.5 turns out.

Here is where I am confused;

If I am concerned about a lean condition, do I turn the side air mixture screw in (ie. clockwise, tightening it) or out (opening it up?)

Do I adjust the pilot fuel mixture screw at all, or just leave them?

The bike seems to really run great. I am just concerned 1 or two of the cylinders is running a little hot. The engine just seems really hot, but I have nothing to compare it to, not do I have a temp gauge.

Thanks for your help!

Rick

Originally posted by ryonker View Post
    I know I should know this by now, but clarification is always good;

On my VM 26 carbs for the 79 GS 750;

Bottom pilot fuel mixture screw---start around 1 turn out

Side air mixture screw --- start around 1.5 turns out.

Here is where I am confused;

If I am concerned about a lean condition, do I turn the side air mixture screw in (ie. clockwise, tightening it) or out (opening it up?)

Do I adjust the pilot fuel mixture screw at all, or just leave them?

The bike seems to really run great. I am just concerned 1 or two of the cylinders is running a little hot. The engine just seems really hot, but I have nothing to compare it to, not do I have a temp gauge.

Thanks for your help!

Rick
    You turn them IN to richen, out to lean them. Dont mess with the fuel screw. Should be fine where it is. What makes you think its lean? If its not staggering, sputtering, breaking up or idling funny, you're likely fine. Look at your plugs. They are THE SINGLE biggest indicator of how hot or cold your bike is running, as well as whether it is lean or rich (incidentally, these go hand in hand alot of the time) White burnt charred ashy plugs are a sign of leanness. Black sooty plugs are a sign of richness. Listen to your bike as you climb the throttle ranges. If its fairly smooth, i wouldnt mess with it. If it staggers, or hits a wall somewhere, you may have an issue you want to look at.

Comment

It runs extremely well and extremely smooth and fast. It just seems pretty hot, but then again I have driven it more the past couple days because everything is working right---so when I say hot, I have nothing to compare it too.

I will just ride and enjoy but have a watchful eye.

Thanks so much Cafekid!

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by ryonker View Post
        It runs extremely well and extremely smooth and fast. It just seems pretty hot, but then again I have driven it more the past couple days because everything is working right---so when I say hot, I have nothing to compare it too.

I will just ride and enjoy but have a watchful eye.

Thanks so much Cafekid!

Rick
        No prob bro. You are starting to sound like me! I worry about every little tick, buzz, rumble or odd sensation that i feel on my bike that doesnt seem natural to me. I have been working hard to not do this, because i dont enjoy riding it when im worrying about whether riding it is breaking it. lol. You have to sort of adopt an IDGAF attitude. Its hard to do when youve sunk alot of time and money and care into one of these machines tho.

Comment

I hear ya; it's weird, but riding a bike that you have had your hands all over is a total trip. You learn it and know it. I mean, MC riding is already different but to ride a bike you have logged lots of hours on is a totally different experience.

Thanks for all your help;

Trying not to be paranoid and just have more fun

Rick

Comment

Working...
          X